7/16/12

tap and die

't' wrench has a 'tap' in it which you slowly twist back and forth thus making a drilled hole into a screw hole

hoping this will aid me in flower making. they would consist of nuts and bolts with less jb weld usage, better hold, less cleaning/scoring of metal since i wouldnt need to use epoxy

i was given this metric set, unfortunately for now i need to use the imperial system

oh thank you lawd....i learnt something and i think it will be useful.  thank you for the patience upon which they teacher had....fore i broke one of his tap pieces yesterday immediately after i was warned not to go to the end and as i turned the 't' wrench.  tell me not to do it and you know i will. 

anyhow.  tap and die.  brief wiki description:  Taps and dies are cutting tools used to create screw threads, which is called threading. A tap is used to cut the female portion of the mating pair (e.g., a nut). A die is used to cut the male portion of the mating pair (e.g., a screw). The process of cutting threads using a tap is called tapping, whereas the process using a die is called threading. Both tools can be used to clean up a thread, which is called chasing.

it is simple.  but not really. for me at least my learning curve uses up at least a tank of gas in most cases.  today i finally went out and bought 2 taps and did a test hole. i was scared i was going to break the tap like i did yesterday when i did a practice piece with the artist who showed me how to tap and die.  when he saw my flowers and heard my frustration at how laborious it is to make them and my concern about them not being as sturdy as a welded flower he suggested i try to tap and die them.  most of my flowers consist of rebar, a big nut around the rebar which connects it all to the flower part.  when you work with found objects that are dirty greasy and you dont weld, it gets complicated.  even if i did weld i wouldnt be able to weld most of my flowers because alot of stuff isnt weldable metal.  this is a good solution for some future flowers, not all but its a start AND it opened up my eyes to other possibilities.  ideally pieces could be more modular, screws, nuts and bolts and therefore less expensive and time consuming for me to make.  many people do not realize that i have to clean the shit out of each and every piece that i am going to epoxy.  then i have to roughen it up so the epoxy holds.  i use a lot of dremel parts as well as jb weld and its expensive.  PLUS i could do this in my indoor studio area and not give a damn if its raining or too hot outside!

of course i made a few flowers yesterday that didnt seem tap and dieable to me...but the seed has been planted and i am forever changed.  once i get over my cluelessness and fear of sizes of screws and taps (number stuff usually appears to my brain like ancient greek script). 

anyhow.  when i get an officially tapped and died flower done i shall show it.  i am just grateful for someone having taken the time to gift me some tools and more importantly impart their knowledge to me.  oh!  this person also made me a pipe bender and a v-block.  the v-block will allow me to drill into pipes/rebar more easily and the pipe bender i can use to bend rebar instead of always walking across the street and using the metal posts that have rings in them.  of course i do kinda like walking over there with a fistful of rebar and doing that.  sometimes i like to look a little tough even if i know i'm not.

hand made wooden b-block and metal pipe bender made my artist friend for me to use!




5 comments:

deborah from collagewhirl said...

Wow--good to see you adding to your bag of tricks!

Colleen Kole said...

That's a cool looking tool. Nice to have an artist share!

Lisa D. said...

Sounds great great Paula!

paula said...

ha comments! i figured this would bore the pants off y'all. :) i've of course messed things up already. something seemingly SO SIMPLE.....aint.

ArtPropelled said...

It all sounds like Greek to me but you are obviously learning the lingo and once again I take my hat off to you Paula.