3/19/12

weather art


so this week rain is predicted (like 80-90% chance) every day.  today a wind advisory.  sometimes i wanna just blow up when i think about how much time i waste waiting for it to not be too hot/too cold/too windy or wet to drag my shit out and try to make something.  there are times i wanna start making more puzzle head sculptures but since i know i'm never going to sell those it's hard to devote 2 or more months working hours and hours a day gluing piece after piece together just to fill up my own living room with more of my unsold art.  ATTITUDE. 

anyhow.  a buyer on etsy asked if i were going to make anymore clocks other than railroad clocks, so i poked thru my few larger non-pipe found objects and saw this hard plastic lid i've had for who knows how long and decided it was TIME.

decided to let her decide if she wants it before listing it on etsy for the masses....
here it is. simple.  colorful, globey.  a nice change of pace for me and i didnt have to drag big machines out onto my little porch to make it.  i hand painted the clock hands, spray painted the top screw part silver to match the washer and other than dremeling down the backside to let the clock lay flat, it was a simple found object clock.   a little too easy?  hey, i'll take easy for a change!


10 comments:

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

I love the simplicity of this! Very minimalist and modern!

NuminosityBeads said...

"Decided it was TIME" - that line made me smile.
I hate to be hampered by the weather. We had sideways rain and gusts of 50 mph yesterday which with my art helps me to accomplish things by keeping me inside. It's the nice days that I feel bad about staying in and working in the studio so there ya go. What I couldn't do was photograph my new pieces which do need a nice day and bright outside light.
I really like the clock, I wouldn't have guessed it was plastic form the photo.
xoxo Kim

Lisa D. said...

Love the clock

I have a house full of art I've never sold. I think maybe doing the puzzle thing could be therapeutic, the glueing and such. Maybe you should make one, work on it while waiting for mother nature to cooperate, thats what I do with my art books, when I'm not in the mood to paint, I sew paper together : )

Viktoria said...

The clock is cool! maybe you will need more of them!

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

What a beautiful surface that clock has--the color, too--but the view from behind also catches my imagination...!

Helen-S said...

Love it. Sometimes the simplest ideas just work the best - nothing wrong with that!

paula said...

i'm happy to know not everything has to be metal :)
tod tells me it is a lug nut wheel cover...duh!!
long day...long day.

Karen Christensen said...

the clock looks like stone from some cave paintings...Nice! As for the puzzle heads that don't sell - go on and make em! Sometimes the joy of just doing what you want in spite of thinking it might not be profitable is worth the trouble. I say this as I sit in a room full of my art that I dont sell and the wonderful bits from others that I so enjoy. It all inspires me so and just makes me happy a feast for the eyes.

paula said...

thanks karen :) and i know...but i can't really afford the materials (the archival glue) the time....all for something that is going to sit here. i have to make the most of every minute and make things that at least has a chance to sell. i rely on every sale to get thru each and every week!

sarala said...

I like it--very minimalist but I still favor your railroad clocks best!