11/30/11

an unexpected hit

cut off lug nut head. gotta love that right?
 the bevy

cut bolt and nut/washers
lug nut, bolt head and odd 'cap' thing

i have to thank my sister for this one....she has been 'bugging me' for a month or more to make little lids so she could then store things in there without everything getting all dusty.  i balked.  then i made these 'boxy candle holders' and she once again mewed for lids.  i gave in.  why not.  my first attempt she didnt care for, she liked the handle idea but didnt like how i had the lid overlap over the sides.  she wanted it flush with the top.  so flush it was and i have to admit they are really cool!  i put wood on the inside so the lid stays on, and am using found nuts/bolts/washers for the lids.  i've gotten really good feedback on facebook about these, probably more so than i have anything in a long time!

i have long loved old hardware.  in fact i can recall when i was a child my dad worked in the basement and had all these baby jars filled with nuts and bolts and i used to be mesmerized by them.  to me they seemed valuable and jewel-like.  and now, here i am finally storing my own cache of 'gems' and they are truly valuable now because i have a new use for them!  i love cutting off the bolt heads and using them for things (jewelry hint hint if you didnt sign up and receive my last newsletter).  so now i have another fun use for them.  most nuts and bolts i find are deemed useless because they are broken or so old and rusty that no one can use them, so its invigorating to find a beautiful way to use them.

of the six i made above and the one 'adobe' vanity tray, i've got two left which i just listed on etsy this morning which you can see here:  1 and 2.  of course i'm off to make more lids for more things, check in on my facebook fan page thats where i always stay up to date!

13 comments:

andrea said...

I totally love these. Better sell them quick so I'm not tempted to spend money I don't have! :)

Teo said...

Oh my gosh, these are AMAZING! I would through away all my kitchen jars and replace them with these beauties. I'm in love....

Colleen Kole said...

i am in love with these too-I was thinking the same thing!

sarala said...

I really like these. Glad you gave in to your sister.

Kim Hambric said...

These are fantastic!!!

Viktoria said...

The boxes are awesome!!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Paula, these are wonderful- love the lids (your sister was right).

paula said...

glad ya'll like em cuz i'm all stoked to make lids for EVERYTHING :)

ArtPropelled said...

Just amazing Paula! My heart races when i see the pieces you are coming up with.

Tod said...

I see you made (the tops) from gen-u-ine northern Vermont vintage galvanized steel flashing. Haul Rd. provided quite the cache. Hope you can find some more in TX that has cured as nicely. Looks like a home run!

paula said...

yeah tod i dont have much left who knows what i'll do...mmmm
thanks robyn, love making ur heart race!

Bob Johnson said...

Ha, who knew, very cool.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Paula. Neat canisters--really beautiful. By the way, I was thinking of you as the one person who could really appreciate my bidet makeover/upcycling project. Have a happy and productive holiday season!
best, nadia