11/16/10

recap

So Saturday was the Falling Flowers event at the Wynne Home Arts Center here in Huntsville.  I had my vases there with flowers that both myself and Tod have made.  There was a great crowd and I didn't recognize anyone!  My vases were on the dining tables and honestly, I didn't even notice them so I dont know if anyone else did.  I'm cool with that.  I wasn't the highlight of the evening, it was Lorrie, the volunteer at Wynne home who had her now deceased friends poems translated and published as well as Kristie's Chinese Dinner that took center stage.  And musicians and poetry reading.  I snuck in the next day and removed half of the vases to then gallop off  yesterday to a master gardener event in Conroe.  (post below).

That too was not really 'my thing'.  I wasn't a master gardener and I know by now that my 'art' is not really something that is going to fit into most homes and thus far, in texas, that number is minimized even more.  I get it and I'm happy to be invited to show my vases regardless of if they sell like hotcakes.  What DID sell like hotcakes were these odd 'totems' made from glass.  She goes to garage sales or wherever and buys old vases and plates and bowls and then glues/stacks them.  Some are functional (cupcake holders?), some were lanterns and some were totems, which to me just looked like glass stacked upsidedown on top of each other with no use whatsoever.  ugh.  I'm sorry but I didn't get it. (bet she thought THE SAME THING about me ha ha ha)  I will be nice and not say too much about it other than it was ironic that she was next to my table and I got to sit there and watch people buy buy buy something that was incomprehensible to me.  I sold a few vases and people did seem to like my work, but lets face it, it was an older crowd of people who probably live with a decor that 'see through glass' looks better in than scary old pipes.

Tod and I went walking for a few hours during the master gardener meeting and flower arranging instruction by a guest speaker.  (again...you had to be there to believe it).  We walked on the nearby highways and got two big bags of scrap.  Long day but hey, its nice to be out of the loft and take a break sometimes.

I have just a few weeks left before I do the last of this year's 'show's.  Again, happy to be there but not having high expectations.  All I can say is thank god my stuff sells online to people all over the country.  If I had to depend on the local market to keep me afloat I would surely sink.

After debating whether to show some pictures from yesterday I realize they are hideous photos.  As usual I brought my shit camera and it took....well, shit pictures.  Suffice to say, Tod and I felt like it was thus far the best table presentation of my meager table showing history. I have to say, I prefer online first and galleries second.  It is a lot of work lugging crate after crate of heavy pipe vases and worrying about my found object flowers getting crushed.  It's hard to sit behind a table and have people walk by and make pithy little remarks (like I do when I walk by THEIR tables).  It's just all a bit awkward and not my preferred way to sell art. I get it, some art sells better than others on a table.  Having said that, I'm glad I was asked to be there, glad I did it and happy to be home to ready myself for the next thing.

11 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

Maybe its me, but it seems that the more one has to think about an object of "art", the less one is likely to purchase it.

I think most people are scared to ask an artist about their art. Sure, they'll ask how long it takes to make, but after that, well . . . No one wants to look like they don't understand something. So they slink off until they find something they understand, and their friends will understand and they won't have to do any explaining and, if the price is something they understand, they'll buy it.

paula said...

true. but i'm thinking my vases were priced at $20 on up....and i'm sure NO ONE there thought it was art. just 'crafty' and CLEVER.
you know i heard that word a lot yesterday. OH YOU ARE SO CLEVER. OH MY GOD HELP ME FROM STABBING YOU WITH MY CLEVER REBAR STEMMED FLOWER

collage whirl said...

I really think twice now about using the word "clever". Don't think people realize it comes off as pejorative, but it really does when you're sitting at that table! Kim has a good point that I never really thought of--if they have to think too much about it, they don't buy it.

Check your FB note for the rest of my comment. I'm also liking your new blog theme, it's soothing!

Lynda Lehmann said...

I guess it's all part of the game. Exposure can teach us what we want and don't want, and whether or not to modify our product or shift focus.

I always go back to the idea that I don't need to sell my art in order to eat, and the joy it gives me to be in creative process, is priceless!

paula said...

you are right lynda :)
funny, i love the idea of selling my art to eat. i really love the fact that i can make what i love and not have to hold onto it and it is how i subsist. true sometimes its stressful, and not always easy, but it is a path i'm enjoying bushwhacking on.

betsy bensen said...

Paula, thank goodness for etsy and other online opportunities. Having a worldwide audience means survival. It certainly makes it easy to find your customer base. Shows are so hard because they're a lot of work and you just never know if "your people" will be there.

paula said...

betsy...you know it!

Teo said...

Great post. I could see clearly the picture even without you posting photos, haha. I'm glad you sold some vases. But yes, thanks God there's the online market place!

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Your post made me laugh, Paula! Scary old pipes, my foot! :-D

I think your pipes would look great anywhere, esp. the kind of places I enjoy being in.

Ellen said...

"OH MY GOD HELP ME FROM STABBING YOU WITH MY CLEVER REBAR STEMMED FLOWER" I just blew my evening tea out of my nose but the laugh was worth it. Imagine the pre-internet days when sales could only be by shows and galleries? so glad it's changed. Even if it's not the crowd who gets your vases at these shows (and that would be the 'cool' crowd who do:) I still think it's great you're getting out there. I'm starting to believe constant exposure is more than half the battle.

paula said...

hahaha elle if you saw how sharp and spear like i make my rebar tips you'd be AFRAID.
maybe i didn't say it right..people did get them...i got a lot of compliments. i just dont think many folks around here have the sort of taste that would compel them to own it, or that it would blend with their decor. just like my puzzle art..they all love it but who wants THAT in their home ya?