8/29/10

objects for vases is next

this summer has been the most productive time for me as far as working on a consistent basis; despite the obstacles and the 'hard' of it all, these vases have been all consuming.  i think part of me knows when fall comes, if it is as rainy as it was last year i wont be able to work so much so do it while i can!  plus it will get dark about 3 hours earlier and most of my work is done after 5pm when all people who work next door at the bank and hair salon leave, the parking lot clears out and i can set up my tools and work in those empty spaces. wont be as easy when its dark by 5pm, i dread it already.

my goal was to have at least 100 vases ( i have made that many but have sold 50? is that possible???? and wanted to have that many on hand for fall markets/etsy holiday shopping).  after i finish this last batch i will have 77 and it dawned on me that 100 isn't any better than 77 so i'm stopping right there.  in all likelihood i will make more in another few weeks....i need to sell some before restocking again.  besides, tod is ahead of me when it comes to making flowers and i'm really itching to begin work on them!  it's funny, tod likes lighter materials and doesn't want to use any kind of adhesives or tools; i on the other hand dont mind using jb weld or other stuff if i have to.  i tend to like working with metal and its heavy so needs to be secure while tod's flowers are lighter.  i still need to haul out my grinder and chop saw and cut rebar and shape it into spears to i can attach 'flowers' to the ends.  we are night and day sometimes but i like that, it keeps our work different.

 i call them flowers but i dont know what they are.  i dont even like flowers.  someone asked me what am i using for petals and i realized i'm not trying to emulate an actual flower.  i like the idea of making an 'object' to place in my vases. period.  actually the further away i can get from a flower the better. we'll see.  i have years of this ahead of me if i am still interested.  so far it feels like a journey that has barely even began.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

Looking forward to seeing where this journey will take you!

collage whirl said...

Love this photo too, and the vase is "perfectly" wabisabi of course! Good work, and you've made 127 of them...wow.
I'm with Cynthia--can't wait to see what's next!

paula said...

deb...so far i've made more, that doesn't include last year and the year before...160 or so is more like it!

deb said...

I love you not-flower vase occupation idea, and I look forward to seeing them as they mature! Wow you are so dynamic *sigh* totally envious of your energy and drive right now. And pay day is coming, so I hope those vases aren't all sold by then.

paula said...

mz deb if you see something you love and want i will yank it away from the invisible claws of the world and let it wait for you to own it.
having said that...my 'drive' is pure SURVIVAL MODE :)
if i sell 77 vases before you can afford a $20 or $30 vase i will GIVE YOU ONE.

ArtPropelled said...

Now my mind is racing ..... what to call them. Whatever you decide they are fantastic and I love your cracklin reds !

paula said...

thanks robyn, i love those cracklin reds too :) you come up with a good name let me know!

Ellen said...

Ha, I'm sure i'm the petal person:)I'm glad your sticking to your guns and going with what feels right. I love the patina of these cracklin reds, gorgeous. And your so prolific! way to go, it's so impressive.