8/4/10

New Art Find: Louis Pons

 Louis Pons, 1991
Dock
Assemblage

Louis Pons, 1981
Fils à papa
Assemblage

 Louis Pons, 1974
Trésor no. II
Relief 

 Louis Pons, 1972
Safari bleu
Relief 

 Louis Pons, 2003
The Recluse
Mixed Technique 

Friday New Art Finds.  ha.  I'm posting it early because my blog needs something on it other than ME.  
I present to you Louis Pons.  Born in Marseilles, France in 1927 and apparently still going strong.  I have little to no information on this artist, he appears to be elusive on the net.  I recently watched a strange little movie called 'The Gleaners and I' by Agnus Varda.  She had a blip on him and I set to searching for images or information online only to come up with a small wikipedia blip and a few sites containing his work.

No matter, it's enough just to see his work.  This site if you translate it, appears to have the most information of any:

Primary studies at Marseilles, school of the Carthusian monks.
School of the Trades, Endoume, Marseilles. He learns the trade from fitter but will never exert it.
Small trades: draughtsman of press to the Release in the newspapers resulting from Resistance, Marseilles.
He was also briefly accountant, labour for grape harvest, agricultural work, house painting.

1948-49, sanatorium with Hauteville. Patient, it lives in the countryside in various villages of the South of France: Montfroc, Simiane-the-Rotunda, Vence, Piole, Saint-Paul-of-Vence, Aix-en-Provence, Antibes, Sillans-the-Cascade.

Important meetings: the work of Joe Bousquet, drawings of Louis Soutter, aphorisms of Lichtenberg. It carries out approximately 2000 drawings with the Indian ink for this period.
1966, it is victim of eye trouble. It publishes reflexions in the form of aphorisms on “the Drawing”, published at Robert Morel.

1959, first assemblies of Louis Pons.
He lives in Paris since 1973. He travels here and there, but no trace of his tours.
He received the Price Bill Copley, the United States.

I enjoy how contained everything is and yet how messy.  This isn't gratuitous and it isn't totally insane.  It is methodical but it feels free.  It's strange and ugly and creepy and beautiful.  Dark and sad.  I am intrigued by the how's.  How he put this stuff together.  How these can look so painterly and so sculpture-like and be neither and both.  It's fascinating work and perhaps even more so because of his proclivity towards 'rubbish', that combined with his age make for an intriguing body of work in my mind.  Its raw and rough and yet refined and mature.  Enjoy!

14 comments:

Angela Recada said...

This is fabulous stuff. If I had it in front of me, I'd feel compelled to touch it.

Thanks for posting this.
:0)

deb said...

I love the recluse, funny I have been reading a book on Roland Penrose, who probably knew this guy, a British artist from the same period who kept scrapbooks! Penrose was good friends with Picasso, Man Ray and the whole Paris crowd, as well as Francis Bacon and Henry Moore, and other big name artists of the time, but I had never even heard of him.

ArtPropelled said...

I followed the link and some of his work is wonderfully rusty crusty. Other pieces are quite ghoulish aren't they? Safari Bleu appeals to me. I've enjoyed trying to identify all the found objects.

Ms.T. Fishstabber said...

Oh my, what a wonderful mind! I love the feel of the Dock. Thank you for posting.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the early Friday find -- these are wonderful! I enjoy the tactile quality, and as someone else commented, so fun to identify the found objects! As a painter, and a maker of "flat" work, I also like the relief format. They seem sculptural yet contained and accessible to me. I didn't notice sizes on the website but some of them remind me of miniaturized Nevelsons. You've made yet another great find!

paula said...

deb, this guy is STILL ALIVE!
seems unknown in a weird way, wonder what the deal is. he must be reclusive beyond belief.

yeah, i think he has a lot going on inside...its some hard core work.

glad you all like it though...its not all clean and pretty and not sure i'd want it on my wall but i dig it :)

paula said...

and yeah cynthia, sizes were in metric so that tells me nothing!
and your right...they do have a nevelson feel. good call!

andrea said...

These appear as landscapes to me. Tactile, otherworldly, maybe even steampunk landscapes, but landscapes nonetheless. Cool.

collage whirl said...

Paula, how do you find all this cool stuff? I like this a lot. It's inspiring. Thanks for digging up M. Pons!

paula said...

haha, you are right andrea, it is steampunk landscape. glad you like it!
deborah...just a blip in a movie is all, would have never found him otherwise!

Seth said...

Not at all familiar with him or his work. Thanks for showcasing these pieces. They are strangely mesmerising.

CMC said...

Love it.. thanks for posting.

Sharmon Davidson said...

i think 'steampunk landscape' describes his work perfectly! I had never heard of him either, but now I want to know more! Thanks, Paula!

paula said...

hhaaa wow you are diggin deep sharmon :)