8/22/10

decluttering

I'm in the mood again with fuss with my websiteEtsy has recently changed it's look and I love it.  I find my personal website to be cluttered and more complicated than it should be.  I also find that I rarely if ever sell anything from it. More and more I use it as a portfolio and link my work directly to my etsy listings.  My website isn't e-commerce friendly and lets face it, I'm not going to spend a lot of money on my website when I've got work on Etsy, flickr, blogs, facebook, twitter etc. I've also realized that my work has changed a fair amount in the last year or so and it is my smaller, functional art that seems to sell online the best.  Etsy is all set up for that so why double my workload?

Having learned FrontPage (microsoft) I find I like working on it myself as I can control what is on/when.  It's dated but there are tricks around that and quite frankly even if I had the money I doubt I would pay someone to do a website for me.  I find people like to buy art from me on etsy.  It's trusted, it works well and I actually feel a little safer selling through them than directly from my website.  I've yet to sell a mixed media piece online(large scale) so I'm not so concerned anymore about how that is made available.  The best part is on Etsy people make a lot of treasuries.  A treasury is what you see on the front page of etsy,  it changes every hour on the hour and for the most part etsy uses other people's treasuries to fill the slots on front page.  The beauty in that is, when someone makes a treasury they do not put their own work in the treasury so this fully highlights other people!  It's a pretty awesome marketing strategy if you ask me.  I make treasuries with other people's work and if people like my work they include that in theirs.  There is a social aspect that I like about etsy that I've yet to receive from my lonely website.  Plus on etsy you get to see who 'hearts' your shop, your items and how many visits you have had.  It feels ALIVE.  My website on the other hand feels like a lonely museum that echos when you browse through it.

So.  Not that anyone would notice or care, in the next week or so I think I'm going to totally revamp my website once again.  This is easily my fifth time redoing my website...just another thing I loathe but feel needs to be done after a year or so as it all gets so dated and bogged down.  I've had this fear that I need to keep up everything I've ever made so the world can see all that Paula has created.  GOOD GOD HOW EXHAUSTING.  So this time around I'm cutting it down to what I have available now.  No more what has sold...no more plethora of pages and tedious listings/links.  I'm going to attempt to link to my etsy listings as much as possible and duh how easy for someone to then buy right?  And if it isn't for sale on etsy I think I'm going to stop having such detailed pages/info/links for each item.  Minimal.  Thats me.  I no longer feel like I need to impress some gallery that may or may not notice me.  I'm not making that kind of work anymore anyhow.  And what I do have that is showable in a gallery I still think I might slowly start auctioning or finding some other way to sell.  We will see....time to try something different and feel refreshed!

10 comments:

schnoobie said...

Sounds like a superb idea to me!I cant wait to relist on Etsy...the treasuries sound very cool!

deb said...

yep, websites are a huge amount of work, one of my goals for the summer was to get back to work on mine, but it still languishes unloved... Good luck with yours :)

Teo said...

I love the graphic design of your website right now Paula, its front page simplicity and the colors especially, but I'm sure it will still look great even if you’ll change it radically. I agree with you that it could use some work on the functionality side, but personally I would not make, or remake a website in frontpage (nor dreamweaver for that matter). Some years ago these software were the only ones out there and so everyone used them. But meanwhile everything changed and in what concerns the optimization, static websites don’t pay back the effort they require. Google does not index all their pages and they will never be able to compete with dynamic websites, like for example those generated with content management systems (CMS) like Joomla which is open source. I know it must sound crazy, but if you are willing to sacrifice a week of your time for the website, why not learn a CMS? If you were able to work with frontpage, I think joomla will be a piece of cake for you to learn. Just saying :)

paula said...

well teo i'm totally clueless so thank you for the info. right now i'm just going to get the site clean and simple. when i have free time and mind space i'm gonna check that out. THANK YOU!!

Michelle said...

I am really looking forward to see the NEW one:)
Had to laugh out loud when I did read;
the hole world needs to see what Paula`s done....:D
Your such a cool Women!

Teo said...

I just came from your "new" website Paula! It looks great!! I really love the photo on the front page. You managed to keep it simple and make it look stylish and professional. And you were really quick! Congrats!!!

ArtPropelled said...

Your website looks great and very professional Paula. I'm laughing with Michelle at your remark about the whole world needing to see what Paula's done .... you're such a hoot!

paula said...

thanks for checking you guys!! appreciate the feedback..i know its still 'antiquated' but its free and i can do it myself without hurting my brain on new stuff. did look into joomla and know i will need lots of learning but hope to get there one day.

collage whirl said...

Your revamp looks really fresh, Paula. And I understand wanting to show the world--aren't we artists in this for the immortality? heh heh...I have a Joomla site, it's easy to update, but I didn't create it myself even though I know frontpage--not there yet either!

paula said...

deborah..really> i will have to fb message you on that, had no idea you did joomla :)