8/7/10

Big Reds

I've finished my batch of Big Red vases.  Twelve in all with two already sold to a friend.  These are from the old fire house down the street.  I managed to 'save' one before everything got hauled away. It's rare to find a pipe out there without having to dig through the scrap yard.  Half of these are not waterproof, case in point the photo above.  It does have a bottom to it, just that slit keeps it from holding water unless you know something I dont. 

Loving the Big Reds.  Next are flakey whites.  Have 8 of them ready to finish today and photos coming soon.  After that I have crinkly Christmas Reds and then I will have over 30 vases done and ready for whatever!  I think I will list them all on etsy now but indeed these will be taken to an outdoor market in September. The Gallery I have work at in Spring Texas plans to have outdoor markets on Saturday.  Can't beat the price:  $25 plus they have a tent.  I'm hoping by then to have my own floral/stem arrangements made.  Not sure I can pull it off, but between Tod and I one of us has got to come up with something interesting!  My biggest challenge still is not having room to open boxes and find goodies, let alone lay it all out and put things together in a mock set up.  I do what i can...the vases are easy, relatively speaking.  I dont have to lay them out and decide what to do with them, they are honest hard work mostly done outdoors and nothing else is needed to put them together.

I am excited about the prospect of creating accessories for these vases.  While I love the look of dried or living flowers there is something wonderful about using metal flowers or wood as an alternative accessory.  And for you painters, your foot long paint brushes will go perfectly in here in case you are still resorting to nasty yogurt containers or pickle jars.  I'm just sayin.....



6 comments:

Teo said...

I'm loving your vases more and more. There's something unique about them and it's showing so well cause your getting so good at taking photos and setting up flower arrangements for them. It's such a great idea to create your own flowers! Makes me really happy to see you experimenting and playing with your creations!

Cynthia said...

These look great!!! I agree with Teo -- your photos have gotten really exceptional! I know you don't want to make these for the rest of your life, or maybe not even the rest of August, but for now, they have it all! They're attractive and useful and "green!" As my mom used to say "what's not to like?" Kudos, girlfriend!

paula said...

thank you teo and cynthia, love your feedback on them and the photos! i'm starting to feel excitement with the vases in a different way now that flowers and stems are going into the mix. feels like a huge chance to experiment and be 'creative' in ways i cannot be with the vases. and yes, i LOVE my vases, now i love them more imagining all the cool ways to take pictures AND fill them up!

collage whirl said...

I definitely see your vases and future flowers as sculpture. Ikebana anyone?

Sigmosaics said...

chimin' in on the loving these vases too Paula. They come up amazing .. they look great with the 'real' flowers but I have to say that with those metal flowers in them they look AWESOME.

no answer for the giant crack either sorry ... geez that sounds rude ;)

paula said...

yes deborah!
kerrin...no not rude. and to tell the truth i like those spaces and wouldn't fix em if i could :) thanks for the photo/vase feedback!