7/18/10

Merritt's flowers meet my vases

I am still on a vase roll.  I have no idea why I like doing this so much. I like the usefulness of them and I like that I have found a way to give life back to something that is otherwise just trash.  If you took a brand new pipe and did this is just wouldn't be the same....least not in my mind.  I love how the paint is faded, chipped and aged by years of usage.  Who knows what all these pipes did in their previous life?  And I'm happy to say I have found the perfect companion for my vases...


....that being barbwire metal flowers that a friend on etsy makes.  While most of my vases are waterproof, sometimes flowers aren't available from your garden and buying fresh flowers is a luxury that you may not be able to afford.  Next best answer is: permanent flowers.  Bright, fresh and totally unique.  I am happy to say that I will have a few of these in my possession for photo shoots but you can buy them from Merritt and probably get her to make them any length you need!  I'm having some made without the wood base so they will fit into the vase.  I can't wait to get them and see how they look in my new vases!

11 comments:

Kendra Zvonik said...

Brilliant collaboration! I LOVE IT!!!

sarala said...

I love your vases and metal flowers sound just perfect for them.
I recently saw some metal flowers made of rusty rebar and old outdoor faucet handles. They were probably too big for your vases as they were meant to be stuck in the ground as outdoor art. I thought of you when I saw them, though.

paula said...

thanks kendra :)
and shara...yeah i've seen metal flowers before. funny i have no desire to make any right now. maybe just not enough room to start another new thing. it feels good to corral people to other artists when it is a perfect match for what i have to offer :)
glad you like them!

collage whirl said...

Those are adorable! Never thought I could say that about barbed wire...
I hafta say, using old pipes is very original and I'm glad I own one of your vases. Post to come...

merci33 said...

Kendra beat me to the comment punch...I came over to say...what a great collaboration! The flowers are a delightful pairing with your great vases.

andrea said...

There's something incredibly satisfying for me in you using recycled "hard" materials for traditional "soft" ideas.

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Yayyyyyyy, can't wait to see the combo coming! Funny, I have never thought about pipes as being 'hard'. I love rusty stuff you find in the shed and on the fields. It had a life before, and it's more alive than ever. And I never thought of vases as being soft. Something is missing in my education, surely, but all I can say is I am anticipating what will come of this. :)

paula said...

i like that andrea...'hard' materials. those pipes are particularly dense (heavy little bastards if you want to know the truth!) so i like that you see or feel that.
maybe that is why the flower photos seem so delicate and fragile to me...they are like glass floating on stone. soft and hard.

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Okay, I was thinking on another vein...but now I get it...the contrasts. Then I must say that the hardness just brings out the beauty of the softness, and vice versa, that much more!

Merritt Hyde said...

I love your vases, there character and the fact they are made from recycled pipes - that is SO cool. They are not only gorgeous but truly unique. Can't wait to see my flowers teamed with your vases ~ they are sure to be the perfect couple!

paula said...

thanks merritt! i can't wait either :)