7/23/10

blue collar art

well my blog sure seems to be on the dull side.  pipes is all i got going on.  and thats a good thing for right now.  i seem to have a little schedule of sorts:  i get up and check online stuff.  have a sale to tend to on etsy.  pack up the vase and ride my bike to the post office and ship it.  i've not been to the bone house to do anymore mosaic work since there are cleaning jobs to do before students move in aug 1.  after that i'm sure i will have 1 or 2 cleaning gigs each month and thats IT.  which is fine, i will miss the work YES I SAID MISS IT...its crazy isn't it?  i've been enjoying getting up and working and sweating and making some money.  i think my increased sales on etsy have a lot to do with my mental state right now. when it's just cleaning apartments with no art energy moving life seems hopeless and really fucking hard.  while i know i can't keep making vases forever i am enjoying it while it lasts.  it isn't something i can sustain.  i need lots of good weather so i can drag everything outside and work.  i think our rainy season is coming and then i'm stuck inside and no cutting of metal is going to happen. 

by then i will be ready for something else.  by then the bone house will be done and dan will be working on other projects.  if i am inclined i can keep doing mosaic work for min. wage...his new project is a huge recycling warehouse in houston that wants him to do interior mosaic work on all the walls.  ugh.  its fantastic for HIM and the community will love it, just mosaic still makes me a little dizzy.  i like doing it here and there and will do what i can ~ but day in and day out full time nu-uh.  at least cleaning apartments i can move around and not be stuck sitting on my ass.  funny how we all have our likes and dislikes.  i'm sure there are plenty of people who LOVE doing mosaic work.  god bless em i aint one of them.

as for art of other kinds, i have no clue what is next.  i think about more trays. i think about using those reflectors i found if i can figure out how to get all that tar off of them.  i think about more functional objects to make.  small things.  i'm still working on pushing my larger pieces so i can have more space.  i'm living a fairly simple mindless life right now.  i have to say it is a relief.  i still can't believe i am so satisfied making these vases, there isn't much room for creativity and yet it is so satisfying.  they are just perfect vessels these pipes.  all i'm doing is making them useful again.  maybe there is a correlation between them and me.  i'm just trying to be useful again.  that was something i 'lost' when i stopped being a therapeutic massage therapist.  maybe that is why functional 'art' feels so good to me.  i like things having a purpose.  a use.  not just a visual pleasure as much as actual function.  one isn't better than the other necessarily, just my own preference right now.  maybe i am a blue collar artist.  literally.  i probably will never make elitist works.  it isn't my style.  not me.  i am still a nuts and bolts simple...down and dirty kind of artist.  not slick.  not manufactured.  not learned.  i'm flawed and perhaps i like my art that way as well. 

16 comments:

Michelle said...

May many more Sales come your way!!!!!

donauluft said...

Paula, among my friends there are quite a few artists, and most of them do not earn subsistence with their art, which is not in the least a sign from quality of their art! And the lucky ones among them are those who makes functional art too....
Seems that these things are the same all over the world.

paula said...

thankx michele!
yes viktoria i agree..it probably is the same everywhere. and you are right, not earning subsistence has nothing to do with the quality of the art. i think i sometimes confuse perfect/beautiful/streamlined...learned with success and desirability. for as much as i love my vases it still surprises and pleases me that others to do because i know they are not graceful :)

paula said...

others do too not others to do.
i can't type today.

collage whirl said...

Paula, it's impressive you found a "niche" (even if you don't plan to stay forever) by making vases out of pipes. Isn't that the whole point--to do something different than everybody else? I'm excited to get my etsy shop going because of you.

I know what you mean, when your art is selling, you can be content with the rest of your life!

Congratulations again (and again!)for persistence and originality. Don't overthink it, I wouldn't be too quick to pigeonhole you :-)

paula said...

i'm not sure what the whole point is. kind of dont like to think it is always about doing something different because that is like chasing your tail. but i know what you mean. the point is just to do what we like. period.
i'm excited for you too :)
i dont mind being a blue collar artist. works for me! GET IT?

Kim Hambric said...

Very well said.

I freak out when I artwork isn't perfect. It really should be flawed like me. And this must mean that I freak out a lot.

How can you get those vases into a magazine. I can just see the photo now of your vases lined up on the dining table of an urban cottage or loft. How do such things end up in magazines. Even one of those online mags would be fantastic.

Jeana Marie said...

I really am so glad you've had sales lately...I hope, hope, hope for you that some of the other stuff looks up too...that you can even more than break even.

I think your vases do have a certain gracefulness. They seem to me a bit more than meets the eye if that makes sense.

Wishing you the best!

xo,
Jeana

paula said...

well considering you like perfect unflawed art, i'm honored you have one of my flawed vessels :)

good question kim. maybe i will look into that...of course then i would have to keep them all long enough to take pictures. i'm maybe too impatient!

paula said...

thanks jeana...i like that you see gracefulness in them. and i appreciate your well wishes. really

collage whirl said...

I guess when I said "niche" I was thinking of marketing and not art making. (I'm getting obsessed with marketing apparently, probably because I need to sell some work now) But the best part is, you're actually selling art that you really enjoy making! That's pretty perfect, don't know how many artists get to do that consistently.

Here's to many more sales!

Ellen said...

You've taken industrial pipes and made them graceful, that's what's so appealing about them. There is something deeply satisfying about making something useful. Glad it's going well, it's funny what a difference that when something you love doing is working, everthing else is bearable.

paula said...

ahhh
got it deborah :)

elle right-oh. bearable.

Karen said...

The vases absolutly belong in a slick urban magazine spread!!! A perfect blend of grace and grit! Your rockin' Paula! I personally find functional art the best kind of art! :)

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Paula, your artwork has grace and power--and those vases are so very Jackson Pollock, you cannot imagine what collector would line his custom-made floor-to-ceiling shelves with them, in his post-modern house on the cliff mansion. They would as easily go into a woodsy cabin or a chateaux on the Loire. Or my house...have to find a way to get one over...biding my time, but perhaps I should just jump when I come visit my mom!

paula said...

well karen you've strengthened my resolve to see if i can find 'publicity' ...tod is telling me to start sending these out there onto blogs etc. MORE PHOTO EDITING I'M SURE ha.

dawn...well, those orange ones you liked were heavy, i'm thinking some of these will be much lighter, and some not. i'm tickled you like them so much and your analogy and vision of where you see them belonging just gave me a big boost :)