7/24/10

234 pounds of FUN

thats what i purchased yesterday.  234 pounds of pipe from the scrap yard. tod and i walked the 3 blocks to our little huntsville goldmine.  i call it that now because even in vermont we have never seen so many pipes at one time, and so many that were colored!  usually scrap piles have big nasty heavyily rusted out pipes.  period.  or you get little ones but they are so gross inside it's not worth bothering with.

oh yes, it was indeed a 'sign' if ever there was one.  you paula, you will become the pipe vase maker of all times came a whisper from the heap of scrap which was piled 4 times taller than i.  you will make a plethora of exotic one of a kind vases for the masses dearest little artista.

i knew within a few minutes we needed the car so tod went back for it whilst i fondled and feasted on pipe after pipe.  pulling them and tugging them carefully from the reachable spots hoping that the ton of scrap atop it didn't tumbled down and flatten me.  it still amazes me you can go into scrap yards and just get whatever you want.  most of the ones in vermont we went to stopped allowing people in.  (i got busted with my camera at two places and i know they were probably worried about getting caught for some toxic doings, who knows) anyhow, this place is cool.  the guy appears amused every time tod and i show up in our sneakers and shorts.  me carrying a little old tote bag and gloves and us walking away with long pipes over our shoulders.

tod was gone longer than i imagined it would take, i was getting HOT.  it averages mid to high 90's and the humidity is right along with the temp.  i kinduh felt like i was gonna pass out or panic.  here i am standing around with my pile-o-pipes wondering where is the daddy dog? help me...i'm sweating so much my eyes are stinging and i aint gots no money!  ( i didnt bring more than $16 thinking i would only find a few things).  guess he was searching for some cash at home....he finally showed up and we hoisted the pipes to the weigh station and had the grand total of 284 lbs.  the scrap guy said 'boy i sure can't wait to see whatcha doin with all them pipes'.  when i told him i cut them up into pieces and made vases out of them his eyes almost popped out of his head.  i said people buy em online and he shook his head and said something about people will buy anything.  that made me smile.

so we packed up the car and shoved everything under our little front step stoop.  i of course worry people will come by and steal it all for resale back at the scrap yard but tod assures me no one is gonna do that. can't wait to show you some of the goodies i got.  a woman on etsy was interested in black ones with no bottoms for her kitchen utensils, i found some uber cool pipes that if she doesn't want, i KNOW someone will!

11 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Well, I can't wait to see what you come up with this time, Paula, and btw, your photos are breathtaking!

collage whirl said...

Wow Paula, this is so exciting! Girl, you are on a roll. I might have an idea for a commission but this time I'm making myself wait til I sell some things. So send out some uber-positive thoughts to bring me luck! (why does this sound like blackmail)

sarala said...

What a blast. I too am looking forward to what you come up with.
Are you going to make any more pencil cups? I guess they'd be a little shorter than vases. I have a house full of vases--popular wedding gift, I guess--but never enough storage for pencils and so forth.

paula said...

thanks dawn..i love it..breathtaking!!

deborah..okay i would send you uber good thoughts anyways :) get to work...etsy awaits as do those real places you just got into!

shara. i was going to tell you i had one 4" vase left and it just sold. yes...i want to make more pencil holders! :)

Teo said...

Haha Paula 284 pounds?! You sound just like me buying paper. It's just so hard to resist. I love that you are worried about the pipes sleeping outside. I would be too :) Can't wait to see what new wonders you will create!

paula said...

my bad, 234 not 84. looks like i will have to go back for more.
i can't wait either!!!

Gail Baar said...

Love the orange vases I just got in the mail, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

paula said...

thank you gail :) you should see.....what i see.....

ArtPropelled said...

Very exciting to discover gold at the scrap yard!I know the feeling!My turn next week I hope.
Happy creating Paula. You have no idea how inspiring this post is.

schnoobie said...

AHHHHH UPCYCLE Goddess of the RECLAMATION!!!! I know that feeling of the adrenalin rush when you stumble upon the TREASURE!!
HAIL the heap!!!

paula said...

robyn you have no idea how wonderful you are :)

susan...you get it i can see that :) hail hail the hope!