6/4/10

friday new art finds: Michael Johansson

I have been remiss in posting my Friday New Art Finds.  This one has been in draft mode for three weeks.  enough already eh?  I present Michael Johansson.  His work seems to be all about compacting repeated materials into neat cubes, packages, furniture and/or general presentation of everyday items that he buys from flea markets.  In his Artist Statement Michael states: I am fascinated walking around flea markets finding doubles of seemingly unique, though often useless objects I have already purchased at another flea market. Despite the fact that I did not have any use for them even the first time, the desire to own two of these objects becomes too strong to resist.

Vi hade i alla fall tur med vädret, 2006
(At least the weather was nice)

description from website:
A caravan is filled to the limit with camping equipment. All the windows are fully covered with objects, organised by theme. One of the windows have given in to the pressure and cracked. On the ground lie some of the ice packs that formerly filled one of the portable coolers.





Platsspecifikt, 2007

while i've seen this type of work before, for some reason Michaels work hits me just right.  i really enjoy the way he uses color and shape.  it's fun, it's crazy but it feels controlled just enough to not be a mess.  there is a balance and it scratches some visual obsessive itch in me.  go check out his website to see more of  these works!

6 comments:

sarala said...

I like the workbench!

CTStudios said...

I find the Packa Pappas suitcase piece quite fascinating, and were it in a gallery, would be drawn back to it a couple times. For me, at least, I think it begs the questions ... outside of a gallery display, who would buy this? And then, be it home, how would one go about displaying it?

paula said...

yes you bring up an excellent point...i think this is an 'installation' artist to the max. which also brings up that interesting thought about how do you make a living doing that?

Angela Recada said...

I can never get enough of this sort of thing. Taking random discarded objects to make something appealing to the eye. Art that makes you FEEL as well as THINK. Combining the random colors and textures and shapes into something totally new and worthy of display. It makes me happy just to look at it.

Love the scrap lollipop in the previous post!
xo

collage whirl said...

This work is very cool. It's driving me crazy, though, thinking of all the STUFF it would take to make it. Right Paula? As for becoming an installation artist, apparently once you get a reputation, museums and galleries pay you to do installations. How you make it until that point remains the question...

paula said...

thats right deborah! the space the space the space and time and blah blah blah. probably another case of artist with wherehouse/like space. ?
im not so sure i would be this kind of artist, i still like the idea of functional over decorative over strange installation. but i DO enjoy seeing this type of work. it opens me up.