5/29/10

Redwood Assemblage

it never occurred to me that my wood trays had so many uses. while it may not be the most practical of laptop trays, theoretically you could use it as such.  it hadn't even occurred to me that it looks great as a wall piece until a few weeks ago when the art center here in town wanted one of my wood trays for their gift shop and to my surprise, hung it on the wall where it promptly sold.  so now you have three choices...table or laptop tray or wall art.  i still have a few bucketfuls of these redwood 'slats' that have been discarded from the build site via the phoenix commotion.  their original use was for the redwood deck doors and studio doors.  i was happy to get the remains and have to date made three trays as well as 62 redwood assemblages from this and other redwood refuse.  it's limited, this wood, so i of course think it is extremely valuable.  get it while you can.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

They are really cool,
love them and that they are for use so many ways,
is simple perfect!!!!

donauluft said...

Wonderful piece of art! ..a shelf without being a shelf really!..love the idea!

paula said...

thanks ladies!

andrea said...

OMG. I have an overheating laptop that I have a lot of trouble keeping cool. Now I'm wondering: would this work or would it catch fire instead? :) There's nothing I like better than functional art. I want one. Can't afford one right now though. Must think how to afford it. (I know: quit financing my kids' selfish lives! :)

CTStudios said...

I agree; it is great looking as wall art !

paula said...

andrea, wood is a good heat conductor and it wouldn't catch on fire. glad you like it!
...CT i think i like it as wall art best myself too, thanks!

merci33 said...

This is one of those instances where the art creates itself...you think one thing and the universe shows you something else...and
these 'wall trays' are wonderfully wabi sabi too.

paula said...

thanks! i made the wabi sabi category too!!!! :)

Don said...

They are cool pieces. Great story and find.

paula said...

thanks don!