5/2/10

good night

the good news is, we didn't get the purported severe thunderstorms and people showed up!  i will admit i didn't think that that many people attended, but tod assures me that easily 50, possibly 75 humans dropped by so i must have been focusing too much on one conversation at a time.  you know how it is at an opening, faces and time fly by and you are unaware of the big picture. 

the big picture is what i must keep in mind, you see, tod has always bragged that at every event i've ever exhibited i have always sold at least ONE thing.  last night broke that record.  it was a big fat zero for me and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little disappointed.  yeah i had my big ticket items there but i also had all my candle holders (starting at $25) as well as other affordable pieces on display. i am disappointed but not surprised if that makes sense.  i can't dwell on it or else i will lose sight of the overall experience which i found to be pretty damn good. 

and i have to say, it was pretty exciting that the one person who did sell something, jared (see the photo above) had never made assemblages let alone show them and he sold that piece within the first 10 minutes of us opening up!  the woman whisked it away and that was that.  glad i took one picture of it while it was still on the wall.  both jared's and tod's work generated a lot of interest all night long.  all my pictures of the evening/art turned out blurry; we only got a few good shots of the crowd.  i'm gonna go back today or tomorrow and take proper photographs of the work before we dismantel it.

as for the crowd:  the guy that rents the office next door works for some local tv station and he was there video taping us.  he asked us all to do an interview but no one was interviewing us, one at a time we all spoke and when it was my turn i found myself squirming and BABBLING about nothing to this huge lens 4" from my face.  seemed too ridiculous just talk about yourself with no prompting from someone else.  i ended it and hope to god i never have to see myself let alone hear myself. 

i was happy that the gallery owners who exhibited my work in march showed up (he can't wait to get his hands on my 'warrior' puzzle piece) as well as most of the crew from the phoenix commotion.  cool to recognize so many faces and to see new ones as well. would i do it again? i suppose so, gotta keep building up steam even though right now it feels like a lot of work for literally nothing.  i'm really not thinking i made any contacts but one never knows what goes on in peoples heads.  i'm sure you know how it is, the thrill of getting ready for an opening usually clashes with the letdown of it all being over and having to find the next venue, the next thing.  i dread bringing all that art back and clogging up my living space. 

funny, i think the best part about all of this was helping tod and jared.  getting the show ready and watching them get their work finished and up.  it was the typical 'last minute' for everything.  literally 10 minutes before we opened jared was still working on his pieces.  tod was also slaving away for 3 or 4 hours yesterday afternoon to finish his work.  reminded me of my first show, and brought back good memories.  it was exciting to see how it all came together somehow at the very last minute.  a HUGE thank you to tod's mom for slaving away with food preparation in the most ungodly heat and humidity we've had to date.  (gee i think it really will be as horrid here in the summer as people make it out to be!!!)  thank you to kristie for bringing us portable chairs and home made salsa and chips.....thank you cynthia for bringing that box of wine (kathy griffin's mom would be proud!) and inviting some of your friends to come as well!  all in all it was a supportive experience and you can't ask for much more than that!

16 comments:

Who you callin' housewife? said...

Sounds to me like a pretty good experience. Everything went together well. You had loads of support. And people came. And looked pretty happy about it. Your name is getting out there.

paula said...

thats all you can hope for!

ArtPropelled said...

Sounds like a great experience. Are you taking it down so soon? I found most of my work sold after the opening of my exhibition. It was up for a month and one of the sales was made just before it closed. People come back. I love your Back Door Sign!

Michelle said...

To me it true look like Fun,
but I know how much Work is behind such a Event...
so well done Paula and I do agree,
you get your Name out there,
which is so impotend!!!!!

andrea said...

Your reaction/write up about it is so good -- honest, descriptive, guardedly positive -- that I really wish I could've been there. And trust me -- exposure without sales is still good. Really looking forward to seeing the art hanging in the space. I love the gallery sign!

donauluft said...

Sounds great ! What about some more pics from the artwork hanging ( or standing )......much luck for the exhibition further!

paula said...

i think the thing i'm not making clear about this opening is, it really didn't appear to be much of an art buying crowd (at least MY type of art moneywise and media wise) tod reminds me that the typical person who has purchased my art is 40-60 yrs old, and a doctor or professor. oddly enough. there was a BIG difference in this group of people vs. the people say at the gallery shows i've done elsewhere. i gotta get my tired as into a real gallery is all. i'm never going to make it here, i'm not fooling myself.
and yes, showing coming down, its not in a place anyone would stumble upon it and again, there just aren't my art buyers roaming the streets here. and i am being guardedly positive andrea...i could EASILY go into a depression/funk get all bent out of shape as i feel desperate financially right now. there is that little voice trying to scream loudly WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? ya know? like are you really going to keep making art and pile it all up?
ugh.

paula said...

i can't even talk right, tod and i have art hangovers. not alcohol. ART hangovers.
i meant to say 'my sorry ass' and i meant to say 'and yes, show coming down'. i know you know ....

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Well, Paula, it sure looks like you had an interesting time...wish I could have been there.

paula said...

me too dawn. you would have sold your cool wristlets WITHOUT A DOUBT :)

Cynthia said...

The show looked fabulous! The works of the three artists complemented one another. The attendees had a good time, but didn't really look like an art-buying crowd, although you never can tell! I well understand the disappointment of not selling, but don't get down Paula -- you accomplished SO much in the momentum building up to the show; you never know what can develop after a show in the way of sales. It's a resume line, if you need one. Now you can move on...possibly a little post-show letdown is normal and to be expected. Kudos on a great show!

paula said...

you get what i'm saying cynthia, its hard to explain it without sounding like an ass. i realize i probably do not sound too good about this stuff. what do i know anyhow.

Teo said...

Paula, I think it’s perfectly normal to feel a bit low after the excitement of the moment has passed. The three of you have worked so hard and most probably need to relax a bit right now. You will see that the art show will have positive echoes. From what I read it was a success! You had a good time doing it and it made you happy, and that’s very important too! Congratulations!

paula said...

hope you are right teo. i think the biggest lesson is just enjoy it for what it was. period. might/ might not ever do me any good so should just enjoy that people came and had a good time!

Ellen said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed yourself and the whole experience. I don't think you're sounding down or unrealistic at all. The concept of the show having reclaimed art from the 3 of you sounds great and if you were in a good walk through area in New York or San Fransisco, (or another part of Texas) sales would have happened. I agree, the exposure and the experience of doing this show independently will add something positive to your future. I'm a big believer that success, especially in art is a slow, gradual process of hard work and plugging away from one event/experience to the next (except for a rare few, lucky ones I suppose).
And congrats to Jared, really like that piece.

paula said...

yeah, i liked jared's piece too. which reminds me i need to take pictures still of our work for you guys! i suppose you are right, we wouldve sold more elsewhere but like i said, its an experience and its over and on to the next one.