4/30/10

puzzle table sculpture

well tomorrow is my art show with tod and jared here in huntsville tx.  when i stop and give it a thought, i'm thinking WOW! this is really happening!  when i lived in vermont tod and i always talked about trying to find a space to use to have our own private art show.  yeah a gallery is great to be in and it is the way to go but sometimes you just want to do it your way and make it more intimate.  for whatever reason the opportunity just never materialized and i wasn't very gun ho in vermont.  i never seemed to 'click' with others and getting out there felt like crawling through a sea of glue.  while i'm not in any established galleries in houston, i have been able to get a few pieces into 2 galleries with another on the way, all out of town.  i have to say i am pleasantly surprised by how enthuised and responsive people are about my work here.  lets hope i can keep riding this wave of momentum.  it calls for lots of moving forward on my part, plenty of obstacles but also plenty of opportunities if i just keep moving. 

and showing in saturdays group show, the debut of my Puzzle Heads.  i hesitate to show these pictures of my puzzle table sculptures...the lighting is OH SO BAD.  puzzle pieces tend to reflect and the colors just don't show right but here ya go... ladies and gentlemen i present to you 'the warrior' and 'the linguist'.  these are both tribal heads.  i picture the linguist as being a key figure in the puzzle-head tribe, fore it is the linguist who must bridge the gap between the other tribes.  the warrior fights to the death any who dare impede upon the puzzle heads.  the warrior is a redux, last year i began redoing him and was paralized by what to do.  since moving to texas i have had such good response to my puzzle pieces i got re-motivated and finally pushed through to the next level of puzzle scuplting.  the linguist was also started back in vermont 2 years (?) ago, and again, i was at a complete standstill.  i like the base of the linguist, i recently acquired that while walking the railroad tracks.  i cleaned it up, cut some metal flashing to fill the hole in the bottom, poured cement in it to anchor the pipe that the puzzle head is formed  upon and whala.  a zillion puzzle pieces recycled into ART!

10 comments:

Angela Recada said...

The more I look at these fabulous heads, the more I can appreciate all the work you put into them. Today, I'm loving the blue eyebrows. I'm so glad you didn't go with a unibrow.
:0)
Good luck tomorrow! I hope you can relax and enjoy the day. I'll be thinking of you and wishing I could be there in person.

deb said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, I hope the event is everything you are hoping it will be, and keeps this positive energy and momentum moving forward for you :)

Ellen said...

So excited for you about the show, lots of pictures please! Your puzzle heads are so fun. The marriage of puzzle and found metal really works, love it. Good luck with the show, I'm hoping tons of people show up with heavy wallets just looking to snag some great art from you all.

sarala said...

Wow. You've never posted these before (that I've seen). They are amazing. They do indeed look African. Good luck tomorrow. It's a great moment.

paula said...

i didn't tell you i'm secretly flying you all in? the chauffeur should be there any minute now.
thanks for the well wishes..and your puzzle head feedback is making their heads swell. mine too :)

Cynthia said...

Looking forward to tomorrow night! I wish I was one of those with a heavy wallet but I'm more of a cheering section participant. SO great to hear you sounding so positive and you're on a roll girlfriend!

ArtPropelled said...

Your puzzle heads should be great conversation pieces. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Soooo exciting! All the best for your show Paula!

cobaltika said...

i'm wishing you the best on your studio openHouse! i hope it goes really well. your pieces are so awesome!

layers said...

well, these are definitely unique and should start the conversations going... best wishes for a good show.

paula said...

thanks you all!!! the whole day we spent hanging and will do more tomorrow...the countdown begins and i feel supported HERE, means much to me. will keep you posted with pictures and news :)