4/27/10

going nuts

many of you already know about my candle holders that i finished last week.  for those of you in the dark about this, here they are!  they are on my website as well as on etsy.  i'm really happy with them as this time i went a little further in the design and refinement process, meaning i used the grinder and got the top layer of rust off of some(see below).  the two below with the rr screws sticking through them also have a rust converter painted onto them (thanks for telling me about this nellie!) i still prefer the rusty look for the majority of my work...the patina and subtle nuances aren't something i can replicate...even if i could why would i when its already there?  however, i'm getting it that some people might prefer a 'cleaner' look and feel.  all of my rusty pieces are cleaned on the bottom anyways, but the rust converter will cease further rusting, say if you live in a super humid area and leave them outdoors.  and i will admit, it does lend a more elegant look to the candle holders.  i have one more set not listed here on etsy as well.  go check them out!
 

9 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Wonderful Paula! I love the screw handle pair..... with or without rust.

donauluft said...

Great idea! I wonder how you put them together? ..a sort of 2 komponent glue I guess....they look amazing!

paula said...

yes robyn i agree, love them without anything in them!
donauluft, i use a cold weld...the old standby for farmers and auto mechanics : jb weld.
its the best!!!!

andrea said...

I can see me living in an urban artist loft with your cool sculpture all around me. That said, I saw ellen yesterday and we discussed how much we love your clocks.

paula said...

thank you andrea, love the thought :)

Nellie's Needles said...

oooo...I really like the combination of natural rust with the "neutralized" metal of the pair with the bolts.

I'm glad to hear that you're finding the product useful. We've found that our treated outside metal sculptures can go a year or more before they need retreating.

Ellen said...

Very nice, love all the monolithic weight to these. I like both versions as well, cleaned up and 'rust'ic.

sarala said...

It's the wrong time of the year but what about a Hannukah Menorah? I think you could make something amazing with those nuts.

paula said...

oh dear i think that would be WAY too heavy!