4/23/10

friday new art finds: James Florschutz

Station XI - Clenched in the Ultimate
16 1/2" x 16" x 5 1/2"
Mixed Media, 2007 by James Florschutz

Station I- I Am
12 1/2" x 15" x 8 1/4"
Mixed Media
2007 by James Florschutz

just in the nick of time, another friday art find, found. and what a find! this is the type of sculpture that gets me really excited about materials. of course i wanna do this but think why bother when ....well....here it is already done and mastered.

amazing work in my opinion. there is a fine line between a mess and a masterpiece. these works are a marvel of both ingenuity and placement of objects. zip ties, paper, metal?, wood, brushes, plastic...you name it and its in there. excerpt from James's about page:

Sculpture has always been a way for me to overlay order on my environment and to make sense of a seemingly chaotic world around me. Often my work uses the grid that offers a matrix for me to express my thoughts and feelings.

In using discarded materials (by-products) of our society and culture I investigate the ubiquity of sites, excavations and mapping. These discarded materials have their own language and tell their own stories. I attempt to unite these diverse materials to reveal insight into our culture's sense of the environment.

James has exhibited extensively and won numerous awards and honors (see his about page). i'm very impressed by his work and i can't believe i didn't know about him when i lived in vermont (his home state)! my loss i never got to see his work in person.

The World In-Between
50 1/2"x99"x12"
Cedar, Surveyor Stakes, Rope, Tar, Graphite, Oil
by James Florschutz

Beehive
32"x40"x40"
Mixed Media Assemblage
2007 by James Florschutz

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, I am really impressed!!!!

Kim Hambric said...

Alright, I have to go check him out. I really need something to do since today seems to be another studio avoidance day.

Great find, Paula!

Angela Recada said...

Wow - I'm absolutely drooling while looking at "The World In-Between." I can't take my eyes off of it.

These are fabulous!

Cynthia said...

Awesome art! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Whoa! Simply gorgeous! Paula, you have a talent for finding incredible art! Thanks for sharing!

ArtPropelled said...

I'm swooning!

paula said...

glad you like, i've been enjoying looking myself over and over...

collage whirl said...

Absolutely love these! Thanks for pointing out this work, Paula. I've never commented on your blog before--just want to say I really share your taste for the recycled.

paula said...

hey thanks for the comment collage whirl. just checked you out, glad to find you too! glad you like this work, i love sharing this stuff.

layers said...

hello. been away for awhile but back now and you are right-- these wooden works are fabulous-- thanks for posting them.

sarala said...

It does remind me a bit of your work but no need to feel that it has already been done.
I got your note on FB and will write back. Just got to make my grain engage.

Seth said...

Sensational. This work is so compelling!