3/27/10

staying on track

new finds, unknown railroad thingies

nuts bolts washers drool dripping from my lips

considering a few posts ago i was about to have a brain aneurysm, i'd say i've recovered considerably in a relatively short time. i attribute it to a few things. one, i contacted the gallery in vt where i still have a few pieces and found out that one is wrapped and ready to go upon pick up/pay. it really does make a HUGE difference when art sells. it feeds a part of me almost as much as making it, money aside, it is just a terrific energetic release.

also it helped to finally find some railroad tracks and to go on meditative walks with tod looking for little pieces of scrap to nab . i can't think when i'm walking, just looking, seeing. feeling that joy and magic upon finding something i've never seen before. i am always amazed at the diversity of things found near or on the tracks. those little wire things in the small photo to the left are something tod and i never came across in vermont. love em! we have found them in white, yellow, blue, gray, and pink; metal and plastic. and, as you can see i found a bounty of nuts/bolts/washers. its the nuts i like the most and haven't seen many of here, so i will for sure be making a few more trips to get these. its unfortunate there aren't any tracks where i live, but 8 miles out of town we found the tracks and they go all the way to houston. today we concentrated on the tracks in conroe. conroe is 40 miles north of houston, it was an oil town believe it or not. i was just reading a book about the 'big four', the richest of the rich texas oil families in the early 1900's. according to wikipedia, 'During the 1930s, due to oil profits, the city boasted more millionaires per capita than any other US city, though only for a brief period of time.' the city isn't much larger population wise than huntsville but it feels MUCH bigger. the downtown has pleasant streets, sidewalks and new brick buildings ~ it just feels more alive (though it too appears to have withered and looks ready for some revitalization).

we stopped in at the gallery where i had my opening a few weeks ago. it sure feels nice to see an entire wall of my work up. of course i had my camera in my back pocket and didn't think to take pictures for you. we went to the woodlands which is where the Über rich seem to exist just 4 miles south of conroe. i wikipedia'd the area and in 2007 the medium income was estimated to be 94,626,K, 113k for a family. huntsville, where we live, i'm finding between 17k and 25k for 2008. in other words, i aint gonna make it HERE but i might make it THERE. there is beau coup amounts of cashola. at the woodlands you can drive for miles and miles and see humongoid homes, long sprawling communities and endless places to shop. people still have money they still love to shop til they drop. i'm thinking a few of them have got to like art. got me thinking, got me having hope. just have to keep on trying and no matter how hard it is here, no matter how i struggle with space and money, if i can just hang in there i might find an IN.

railroad switches

12 comments:

sarala said...

I love the switches and the railroad stuff. Glad you are feeling a bit more inspired. And made a sale. Cool stuff!

paula said...

thanks sarala, me too :)

Colleen Kole said...

Yes- a sale is so very good! I love seeing the railroad finds. Congrats.

paula said...

thanks colleen!

Who you callin' housewife? said...

I could be wrong, but I find the richer someone is, the worse their taste in art.

paula said...

i'm not sure if that means my art is in bad taste then...cause those are the people who buy my art in galleries!

Kim Hambric said...

Congratulations on your sale and your railroad discoveries.

Ellen said...

Congrats of the sale!
I love railroad tracks, some kind of romantic John Steinbeck kind of thing I have (if that makes any sense?). Once a year, out of some perverse fascination I used to buy the Robb Report, the magazine for the super rich. The art in there was HIDEOUS. Some rich people really do have horrible taste, such a shame, but it's not super rich we need, just art lovin' people with wall space and cash:)

ArtPropelled said...

I love the piece you've sold and it looks so great on the wall! Walking, collecting bits, even if you don't know where you'll put them is so therapeutic. I've had some of my best ideas just wandering and gathering bits.In fact I plotted a whole artwork around one rusty piece that I found. I couldn't believe all those hinges in the next post. They look exactly like the haul I found way over here. (In an old paint tin on a construction site)Most of them rusted and others with peeling white paint.

paula said...

haha ellen, you remind me of my old life when i massaged some wealthy eccentric art collectors, i thought the place was HIDEOUS. mmm never heard of that person/magazine.

thanks robyn...and i love knowing you have a haul-o-hinges on the other wide of the world...is it a race then?.....

ArtPropelled said...

I've been using the hinges in some of my pieces but I have a LOT of them! A race to collect the most ?

paula said...

how bout a race to USE them first ;)