3/13/10

Redwood Assemblage #59 & 60

Redwood Assemblage #59

Redwood Assemblage #60

I still don't know what I'm doing with these little assemblages other than letting them keep on keeping on. They are still fun, still challenging and still consuming most of my time day in and day out. You have to understand the pieces of redwood I am getting are all on the small side. There are a handful of chunks anywhere from 4"x6" or a little larger, there are long thin slats that are maybe 1/8" thick, 2" wide and 25" long, a few 2x4 type planks and little odds and ends. That's it folks. I've learned better how to use my miter saw without slicing a finger off, it is always a little scary for me cutting small pieces of wood but less so the more I do it.

I've been incorporating more metal with the wood and if I can find my box of auto accident plastic and rubber from Vermont, I will experiment with those materials as well. Oddly I don't have as much metal to use as I thought I did, I'm suddenly remembering the car loads of metal I unloaded at the Vermont town dump before we moved last Fall. God knows Texas aint the place to find car accident parts. This place is clean as a toothpick in done baked goods. Every week all night we can hear the street sweeper going up and down every street. The more I venture out of town the more I realize the vast nothingness that exists. I've ridden my bike on miles of frontage road only to get half a backpack of debris. It's slim pickins here which brings me back to my love of these wood things. They are making a statement about minimalism. Showing me I CAN make art with little to nothing. Getting rid of all the superfluous, abandoning excess choice and being very present with what is here and now. They feel like they are messengers. You hold them, you see and feel what is contained in the center and magic happens. You don't really know what to do with it but are compelled to keep holding it, looking at it from every conceivable direction and angle. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun with a piece of art before. Just when I think I can't possibly come up with another one, two or three more pop out of me. Hold on to your hats, I might get an edition of 100 done and beat my clocks out of the finish line!

9 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

They are charming, bold, intimate, interesting--the colors are magnetic--your assemblages are probably a lot like you are! Beautiful, Paula!

Nellie's Needles said...

;-)

paula said...

you are too kind dawn...i WISH i were all those things :)

Michelle said...

Paula,
how ever they are fantastic!!!

ArtPropelled said...

Paula I love these .... a lot!
To thank that only a little while ago you were unsure where you were heading with the redwood pieces. Now you are definite about certain things. YOur statement about minimalism and the fact that you like the chunky handheld pieces (at the moment). You have come such a long way in such a short while. I'm holding onto my hat!

Cynthia said...

Wow -- I think these are great, and getting better and better!

paula said...

yes robyn i'm aware of the changes, thank you for your words of encouragement.
thanks cynthia, i'll bet no one would have 'gotten' them last night though eh ;)

Karen said...

loving how the art will find its way every time.

Colleen Kole said...

I like #60-I want to touch the red that jumps out at me. A street sweeper each week-wow we are lucky if we see it once after winter here in MI. No wonder there are no great finds.