1/3/10

work

art is funny. art is weird. art is whatever you want it to be

and what about me? what have i been making? well, if i can find a decent photo opportunity i would show you. right now this loft we live in doesn't have much in the way of settings to display art, let alone good lighting. i've gotten away with putting things out on our porch but my new works dont look so good there.

and what are my new works? well, strange blocks of scrap wood from the bone house. they have made some gorgeous doors and cabinet slats out of redwood and some of my pieces are cast offs from that. some of the wood i've cut myself from their scrap bin. most if not all of these pieces are redwood. i'm enjoying going on this journey of looking at the wood and as i did with scrap, finding the beauty in the thing itself without adding to it. when cut, the redwood has subtle yet interesting veins, psychedelic little wobbly bubbles, as well as other personality quirks that you find once you cut the wood in different directions.

i am being particularly neurotic and insecure about these when showing tod and our neighbor jared. i'm judging and comparing...in other words, in my damn head when finished with them. while working on them i'm in my heart. happy and carefree. its like building blocks. i really do feel like a 3 year old playing with chunky wooden blocks. i know i'm not doing anything new, amazing or innovative but to me it IS new and it is extremely satisfying. i hope you get to see them one day....i might end up dragging them all over town just to find a spot to shoot them.

5 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Yes please drag them across town to find the right spot to photograph them. I would love to see what you are losing yourself in.

AnitaNH said...

Hey, Paula. I've been meaning to slow down and leave a comment to wish you a happy new year. Hope you don't mind my posting a link but I'm at my wit's end and could use some feedback from fellow artists!

http://thetemporaryblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/resolution-for-2010.html

paula said...

thanks anita! happy new year to you and WHAT A YEAR IT IS GOING TO BE I SEE.....

Karen said...

I want pictures!!!! I am so enjoying watching your life as it changes and moves about. I am grateful for your blog :}

paula said...

i know i know karen i've taken some for days now but not used to being so busy and just tired out! i'm working on it.... thanks for being interested!