1/14/10

wood on rug paula on etsy

for now this is the best i can do....pictures on the floor. and i call myself an artist...good lord. what can i say i no longer live in paradise (vermont). i no longer live in a beautiful home as a caretaker. i'm in an industrial building in huntsville, texas which serves as a place to eat/sleep and work on art. bad lighting and on and on. i just wanted to see all my pieces together, background be damned.

i think i need a small break from these. i pushed the envelope and went into a new direction, which by the way, didn't work out but tweaked my brain just enough that right now i can't go back to these nor do i want to go forward. cease and desist. are these for sale? yes. i think i will sell a few as diptychs and triptychs. you can put them on the wall you can put them on a table, you can put things on them. you could use them as meditation blocks....soon i should get them on my website or etsy.

puzzle stuff. clocks. they have been whispering to me and become louder as lately i've gotten feedback from new eyes that my puzzle work intrigues and pleases people, and more interest in my rr clocks means i should consider closing in on finishing my limited edition of 100. being at #88 means i'm closer to that goal; i havent wanted to rush through and finish them because i'm in transition with my life and art and would hope that that plays out in how the last dozen look.

more changes...etsy is changing. the whole treasury thing and front page thing...disappearing as we know it. i would write about that on my etsy blog but we all know that blog is dusty and full of cobwebs. no one visits that blog and i'm alright with that. that too might be changing. i've been invited to join a juried etsy team that is being created. if you haven't looked at etsy lately go to it. on the front page their categories have become more diverse and the art? the art...it is becoming IMPRESSIVE. i've been meeting some amazing artists on etsy lately, their work supersedes most 'gallery' work. in fact they are real gallery artists. it's exciting the possibilities. all this because of a new CEO and new vision.

what else. the phoenix commotion. i've not been there much. the floor work kind of did my body in, its been too cold to go back kneeling on floors putting in bottle cap flooring and besides, other people need to work on it too. i'm mostly concentrating on my own art ~ marketing myself and exploring ways to exhibit and subsist. the clock is ticking...our lease is up before i know it and all i can think about is how to make it so i can keep working on art, derive income and not have to move into a studio apartment and climb the walls. paralyzing sometimes but recent feedback from people has shaken me back to life and i know i can do this if i just keep moving forward.

11 comments:

andrea said...

You're sounding very philosophical and analytical just now. It's all good.

Vilte said...

you are moving forward..

and i like those wooden blocks. and as objects of meditation sounds good..

and more clocks is good..

why no more first page? haven't heard of it.. what's the juried team? :)

paula said...

vilte getting on fp as we know it is ending i think. wanted to contact you about joining a team...will email you. i'm glad you like my little blocks. especially since i'm HATING my photos of them.
andrea..god help me if i sound analytical!

Jeana Marie said...

I don't think photos on the floor makes you less on an artist, by any means! Have you considered building a light box (and I'm not asking in order to sound critical, just so you know!)?

The wood pieces look fantastic all together, like a maze where my eyes can dance...

Kim Hambric said...

Jeez, I couldn't keep up with Etsy anyway. Are they changing to help us out or help themselves out, or just for the hell of it?

Seems like you're moving in a spiral -- revisiting older things, just not in the same way. Kind of growing outward. Am I making sense?

Anyway, I kind of liked the background for those wood pieces. Added texture, but not too much.

As always, looking forward to seeing what comes next with you.

paula said...

jeana,yes i've considered it. tod tried to make one last year. honestly it isn't a look i like any more...it looks antiquated or sterile when i compare it to etsy and the quite remarkable photo shoots i see there. i just dont have any 'real life' sources to place my items since our apartment isn't really a living space. i DO appreciate the thought though!

paula said...

kim i think its a change for them and us. the ceo is out and a new one in so change by default for one, two there is quite a stir about 'the same people always on fp' and i kind of agree even though i enjoyed my little run there. there ultimately has to be a better way to get buyers to visit the treasuries and shops. i think currently the treasuries were more something other etsy people looked at (true they bought though). i'm learning more as i go...luckily a few people on etsy with brains are sharing with me!

Lisa said...

Hm - might go check out etsy again....

CTStudios said...

First off, two things ... 1) the wood sculptures look great on your great, a wonderful texture similar looking to burlap and 2) Texas is a great place to be. The people are friendly and diverse and the food is quite good.

I like your sculptures. I could see a wall of them, as in installation. So cool if one design ended where next began; perhaps that's what got you thinking about puzzles.

Or perhaps this is simple your stepping stone to further wood experimentations.

Don't stop now

ArtPropelled said...

The wood pieces look great against that background and as CT commented I can see them as an installation too. You've worked flat out on these pieces Paula so it is good to take a break from them for a while and then go back with a clearer mind. I really love seeing them all together like this!

paula said...

ct and artpropelled...thank you for the encouragement and thoughts...it spurs me on and i'm back at it after a few day reprieve :)