1/1/10

snapshots of life

tod spotted this right across the street from the post office; to tell the truth i'm not so sure i would have noticed it for another few weeks. my head usually aims at the ground, looking for little things to pick up. i've seen this but never really looked. its fantastic dont you think?

i was out grocery shopping the other day and saw a fairly old woman wearing these...shuffling along slowly. i had to ask if i could take a picture of her rubber boots. she was so proud of them, that they only cost $39.99. her husband made sure to let me know she had a furry pair too. i would never dream of asking someone if i could take a picture of them in a grocery store, but somehow in huntsville, it works. it still amuses me all the winter wear and boots people adorn themselves with in a place that really doesn't get below 30° at night, forget about the days even being colder than 45°! on any given day you would swear you were up north given the bundledness of people.

11 comments:

Chris said...

I love your pictures. These are some crazy boots, man. Of course, coming from Vermont, you have a right to say, "You people don't know what cold is!" Actually, I didn't know it even got that cold in Texas.

andrea said...

I want those boots! When we lived in Greece, people thought Greg was nuts going swimming in the ocean in spring. I guess it depends on where you come from!

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Wowza, I love those boots! Wonder where she got them???

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

I second Chris, I love your pictures! I wouldn't wear those boots, unless they were all I had and they were fur-lined with blinking Elvis lights on them, and had glowing neon... :-D Happy New Year!!!

paula said...

yeah...i'm not saying i like those boots as much as just can't believe them!

Jeana Marie said...

the dead end barber shop in funny in so many ways...

cold is relative...in a few years you'll be cold in winter there too, just you wait!

paula said...

its cold...our apartment gets down to 55F...thats cold!

CTStudios said...

Here, in New Orleans, these boots are often worn to Jazz Fest, or other festivals, after it rains. Keeps the feet dry when mud is up to the ankles ! So, in the south, we think of them as rain boots.

deb said...

That's a very sweeny todd barber, not sure I would frequent!!

paula said...

ya know CT, i think i completely spaced out how much rain it gets here so when you said that i realized i might be sportin some one day....
ha! youre right deb!

CMC said...

It was 20 here when I woke up late this morning....some real cold (for us) is due in the rest of the week.