1/18/10

Bracket Candle Holders

Found Object Candle Holders, 2010

the brackets i found last week! combined with washer and rusty nuts, makes for a dramatic table accessory, candles aflame or no. i love these, they are just chunks of goodness. i'm having fun making candle holders out of found objects. still looking for ways to be creative and make functional art that is more affordable and good to put on etsy.

still fighting about what to do with art. do i find new gallery rep out in texas? do i really want to drive all over this huge state and lug art around? knowing the photo assemblages are a thing of the past right now no gallery will want my older works (me thinks) knowing i haven't enough of anything else to submit makes me wonder what the hell i'm doing. hence the making of smaller works that i hope to keep selling online. my clocks have been keeping me alive since moving, i need to keep focusing i guess on e-commerce. i need purpose. need to feel i'm working towards more independence as an artist. more control over my destiny. it's difficult to imagine ever having financial independence again, but so far i've lasted. when i left arizona i had saved some money and that is completely gone. my art has kept me alive but i want more than surviving. i want thriving. still have no clue how that is going to happen. stick a candle in this and walk forward into the dark unknown.....

6 comments:

CTStudios said...

I really like the texture and balance of these pieces. I'd think my only down thought, if I were to purchase one from my home, would be the potential of their scratching furniture. Are you going to consider putting thin bits of felt on the bottoms?

paula said...

i love that you commented on these...:) and to answer your question...no. I have put felt on things before and i dont like how it shows/raises the piece and breaks like fine fuzz. i understand your concerns and would suggest that they would be placed on a small matt or wood block or whatever. they are rather smoothe and unless someone is going to scrape them across something i wouldn't imagine they would harm furniture. but i wouldn't recommend them being put solo on glass or expensive furniture. did you fix you feed yet!!!!??? :)

sarala said...

I think your candle holder series is very successful. I picture a dark room full of candles all from bits of old metal.

paula said...

thanks shara...they do look cool altogether!

Gail Baar said...

I just discovered your blog through colleen, and I really love these candle holders. So I also looked at your etsy shop! I really love things made out of found objects, and will have to consider these candle holders...

paula said...

ha! gail...THIS IS THE POST that no one commented on for 8 days :)
love it....thank you for stopping by ;)