12/15/09

small is big

I just sold my last repurposed gutter vase last night and one of my candle holders on etsy! What a boon for me as the last few weeks I have sold 'the small stuff' and it has been huge for me in many ways.

The small stuff. Something my artist brain wasn't quite understanding at first. I thought it all had to be bigger so the gallery would take it. Then almost a year ago to the day I finally shoved my tiny brain aside and put some things on etsy. I sold a few things rather quickly to blogger/artist friends and then nothing. Probably three months later I took the time to make treasuries even though they confused me and I had no idea how to get anything noticed on etsy (its a big sea and i'm a little fish). I lucked out I'd say, as when I made that treasury I put another person in it that got the treasury bug instantly. That someone was Vilte, and over the next 10 months she put me in her treasuries non-stop! I watched her go from having no action on etsy to being more involved (etsy teams etc) and selling her amazing felt (art) wear on a continual basis.

I'm still not fully involved, meaning I have been invited to join an etsy team and I still don't know yet what that really means. I know the more involved you get the more your work gets seen and 'marketed'. I've asked the buyers how they found me and one just searched using keywords (making all the reposting of my clocks with correct keywords worth the time); another found me through gift guides being emailed to them, one saw my work on the front page via a treasury, and others saw via a facebook post. I'm slow about this, but I do still make treasuries every time I have a chance. My etsy blog is a bit of a joke to me, it's not exactly an engrossing blog, mostly I just upload treasuries I or others have made that made Etsy Front Page or were otherwise interesting. I like to occasionally highlight others' etsy stores too. I have befriended some sellers from all over the world, real friends who are caring and interested in helping promote each other, give support, or just check in and connect.

The small stuff is just as big. It adds up. I've managed to make rent for next month (something I didn't need when I was care taking in Vermont). I've been more motivated to make smaller works that I can sell online especially since I've recently moved and am in a smaller space ~ I can't keep making large wall art unless I can get gallery representation here in Texas and even then, I don't want to keep renting storage units and filling them with more boxes of art indefinitely. It's all unknown right now. For as much stuff as I hauled here, most of it seems unusable at the moment. Until I can get more RR Nuts I'm at a loss what to make next. It scares me, sometimes I feel froze up and wonder if I will even make anything ever again. Just have to keep taking one step at a time and have gratitude for what is happening now.

9 comments:

sarala said...

Way to go girl! The more you educate yourself and the more flexible you become mentally the better you are doing! Things will slow again after Christmas but don't lose heart. I'm so glad Etsy has been working for you.

CTStudios said...

It's interesting how the fear of potentially being non-creative is so powerful. It's like a 'what-now' syndrome. Where do we go from here.

Here's hoping you stumble and fall into 'that new thing' very soon.

ArtPropelled said...

It's the fear of being non creative that is so daunting. One thing I discovered during my block is that even though I didn't seem to be moving forward my mind was working full time and when I got back into my stride the ideas and my creative energy just overflowed. There always seems to be a lull before the storm.... a fallow period before a change to something fantastic. From the outside looking in I sense there are innovative ideas brewing in that head of yours. The pieces just havn't come together yet but they are getting there.

paula said...

sounds like you guys get it. where do we go from here...
its good to know robyn that you've been through a block and realized your mind was still working on things even if they weren't tangible. all i have to do is see your work and realize possibilities are ENDLESS.

andrea said...

You have definitely figured Etsy out. I've abandoned it myself -- it only worked when I was working it (like you said) and, like so many things, I lost interest! BTW I plan to invest in one of your wall clocks in 2010. I love them!

andrea said...

PS I have also experienced times when I wasn't working but my sunconscious was. Such a delightful surprise!

paula said...

thanks andrea but no way have i figured etsy out! treasuries are one thing but i know there is more to do if i want to stay afloat...and wow, thanks for the hope :) and compliment for 2010! can't even imagine which one you like...who knows by then i might work on the rest of them and surprise us all!

Angela Recada said...

I so glad being on etsy has been working out for you! I know you'll come up with more ideas for new ways to use the most unusual things.

Taking it one step at a time, and having gratitude, are both good things. Not always easy, though. But it sounds like you're on the right track. I'm happy for you.

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Bravo, Paula--one step at a time, and you will make it, woman! Your smaller-scale art is just as integral as the larger scale creations, too. I think you are great!