11/13/09

artist Steve Tobin


My friend Maggie in MA just sent me a link to an article about Steve Tobin. After reading the article I googled him to find his website. I was shocked at how much work he has made, and how much variety exists between the bodies of work. Then I saw this video on his film page [can't link to it so go here and click film on left], Tod and I watched together and felt inspired beyond belief. We like the idea of finding a way to make art that is messy, fun, very Dionysian (a term i've recently learned via listening to dan talk). Check out the article that was written via NYFA, the last paragraph speaks YELLS to me!

1 comment:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

This work reminds me a the tumbleweeds a friend of mine used to make in the industrial park of Tallahasse, where the artists had their studios, and one guy, Rick (last name lost), made giant tumbleweeds out of left-over steel parts he's find anywhere--wires and chains, rivets, everything. They were huge...then he started making hand granades out of lovingly smoothed and honed clay, painting them in pastel colors. They were life-size, and he showed them in Atlantic, Georgia. I wonder where he is now...