10/21/09

another hurdle cleared

i'm not sure who really wants to hear the details of how we found a place, it was nothing short of miraculous. as was the unpacking of the truck by dan's crew. seven of us moving faster than ants carrying large loads. will write more later....hopefully will get internet soon but after we leave our little cluttered econolodge room this morning thats it unless we find library time. suffice to say there is a ton of work to do trying to fight my way through the crazily packed boxes and hurry up and make this place livable so we can get to work with dan soon.

i have to say the one thing i hate is those damn 'palmetto bugs' which is just a nice way of saying 2 inch shit filled cockroaches. i've already seen their dead dry corpses in every place we've looked to live. there is no avoiding them. i remember them from arizona....such dreaded grotesque things. you find them in the middle of the night on the tip of your toothbrush. they are anywhere and everywhere and i saw a handful of them (dead) in our new diggs. gross. maybe i will be too busy to care, long as they leave me alone when i sleep i will try to keep my 'man up' 'tude. it's a dichotomy, one of the hardest things i've ever done but also the easiest in other ways. haven't quite wrapped my brain around it and maybe i'm better off not thinking much more about it.

thanks for ALL WELL WISHES and thoughts in regards to us finding a place and getting a good start here. the work has yet to start, the real work that called to us here in the first place. we look forward to getting our hands dirty soon, to being involved with dan and his crew and learning!

11 comments:

sarala said...

Other than the bugs this is just great! Glad you found a place and can get to work too. I'm looking forward to hearing about the work part too. Keep us posted as much as possible!

artistsjournal said...

In my former Florida experience, Palmetto bugs is just a polite euphemism (was that redundant??) for roaches. Plain ole roaches. Roach bait will clear them out for a while, then repeat as necessary.

Seriously! I am so happy for you. Yes I am interested in every little detail, as have empathized with what you're going through.

All the best as you get situated.

Martha

Angela Recada said...

I'm so glad that you've found a place! Dan and his bunch sound priceless. I have a feeling this will be an incredibly worthwhile experience, worth every bit of discomfort. (The bugs do sound gross, though).

self taught artist said...

i love you guys for being RIGHT THERE during my last hour of internet :) i can't say how nice it is to feel less alone. as for those roaches, in arizona i used toxic stuff and kept drains closed, here tod wont use that and borax doesn't work in humid places (so they say). we will just deal. i admit to wishing time would already fast forward a bit just so i know this isn't quite the mess it all seems. tonight will be our first night there...as long as there aren't new strange permanent noises that keep me from sleeping i think my sanity will remain in tact. its my one fear, shitty location no sleep and forget about me being a functional sane person. but lets not go there!!!

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Hi Paula--the more I read, the more I think you are also a writer--I mean, it's another thing that you do damned well! It's all I can do to not laugh out loud about those palmetto bugs--they give live birth, and they don't smell nice if you squish them...I hate them too.

Best of luck in the coming days, and I'll stay tuned for news from Paula!

Karen said...

Somehow I just knew when I went onto your blog that this would be a post about your new place! GOOOD!! Aint the universe a wonderful place???? as for the big roaches...can you do the Texas two step..lol

Mary said...

Hi, Paula. Just catching up with your adventures again. So glad you've found a place! I look forward to more details. It sounds as if you're involved with some wonderful people, and that's much more important than a few roaches.

Mary

deb said...

Oh I am so happy for you, I am enjoying your journey from my safe suburban distance, you are so brave!

self taught artist said...

being able to entertain y'all will make the hard stuff easier. the sleeping and noise is worse than i wanted...college guys (they apparantly need no sleep and lift weights below us on concrete and scoot chairs for HOURS on end). all i ask of sleep and income coming in. i'd EAT THOSE FUCKING ROACHES if i could just sleep and have some peace.

jeanamarie said...

oh please don't eat the roaches, please please don't! and if you do, please please don't ever describe it to me!!!!!

glad you found a place - i really am!

Ellen said...

I've been following, sorry I haven't been commenting. So glad you made it safe and have a start. I do sympathize with the living conditions. I've lived with roaches (and mice) too, luckily almost none in this area. hate the buggers. Hopefully when you get busy with the new work and settle into a routine, things will feel better. Still think you should get yourself a cheap bed, might help the sleep???