8/24/09

the time has come by paula

To leave this quaint, tiny, safe, quiet, beautiful tourist town of Stowe, Vermont and move clear across the country to.....


Portland Oregon! Tod gave our official notice to the home owners we care take for. A sliver of us were almost hoping to be asked to stay, with pay through the winter(as it stands we do this in exchange for free rent and thats it)...probably a bigger sliver for Tod and just a microscopic sliver for me as I have already started the very tedious and challenging challenge of discarding and packing my art life up. It was a quick, easy conversation and when Tod got done talking to them he came downstairs and looked a little pale, a little strange...lighter and perhaps not in his body. I can see he is excited. In my mind we are already gone. We have left. I wont be pale and sickly looking until we GET there and I have to be trapped somewhere again. Movement seems to behoove me. Four walls do me in. Reality...jobs...housing...getting my art bearings and probably starting all over again in regards to showing art and slipping into a gallery...all things to be reckoned with.

We will make friends there dammit. We will get and offer up support within a community of people that we have yet to find here. We have a completely new life ahead of us and this time its a clean slate. I'm not moving into tod's life like I did here. This will be our thing, separate and together that we are creating for ourselves and each other. I would not even be able to do this were it not for Tod fronting me the moving/living money. I've never in my life had to rely on someone, nor have I wanted to. I feel lucky for this opportunity and hopeful I can make an art life happen there.

I have added Tod to my blog administration, for the few of you who got turned onto his blog last winter (which he has let get dusty and old) you know what a damn good writer he is (found in vermont), so he is now going to tell his side while I tell my side. Side by side. We hope you enjoy living vicariously through two people who are going out into the unknown.

At present we think we are leaving mid October. The goal is to have a place to rent Nov 1. Loose plans are: renting a truck or pod and heading out, possibly stopping in arizona to tie up loose ends of my old life there. Hoping while on the road to get more serious about finding homes to rent so when we get there we will have a week of looking and move in. It's a lot to do, think about, find out about etc. If you or someone you know lives in the Portland area would love to know if they are interested in helping steer us to decent neighborhoods etc. I will post more of our life demands later :)

back to those boxes.....

6 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

I am hugely excited for you and Tod. Please, please, please, find a place to live above ground. It sounds as if you are very open to Portland & I think Portland is going to be open to you. This whole thing makes me want to do more bird pieces.

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

This sounds exciting and wonderful--Portland has going for it that it's on the west coast and surely has a bit more mine-openness about it...it's west! I will be keeping track of your's all going-ons...:-)

Mikel O'Brien said...

In reading your blog entry, I find myself both excited and nervous at the prospect of your BIG MOVE!! I look forward to reading more! :)

self taught artist said...

i'm excited more than not but i like movement and action when i'm 'in control'. the reality of moving my art supplies and finding a place we can accept to live in AND work in is something i'm trying to put on my best happy face about.

Nellie's Needles said...

What excitement! My thoughts and wishes for all to go well are with you two crazy youngun's.

self taught artist said...

well nellie...i feel younger the more STUFF i get rid of....thank you for the thoughts and well wishes. were gonna need it :)