8/24/09

Six Minutes of Life Changing Insanity by Tod

Somehow some part of me managed to squeeze off the blood flow to the rational centers of my brain this morning just long enough to make a six-minute phone call. Maybe that’s the physiological mechanism of creativity (or insanity). A little valve upstream of a small capillary bed malfunctions and closes off the blood supply to the rational part of the brain. Anyhow, it happened just long enough this morning for me to quit my life. How do you give up living rent free in a rarely occupied 30 acre estate bordering 2,500 acres of pristine, trail laden Vermont forest in a town so beautiful that piles of billionaires and business titans find themselves permanently relocating their families here? Easily, just relieve yourself of the burden of rational thought for six minutes. Couples toil up the care taking food chain for decades to get a gig like this. No one leaves unless the house is sold or they are asked to. We bucked the trend. As with most of the interesting stuff that’s poked me in my life in recent years, P-nut is to blame.

There is a new part of my irrational brain that believes there is a much better life out there beyond this safe time capsule of a town. Paula has managed to saturate me with such a powerful hit of art smelling salts that I am no longer satisfied with a quiet, peaceful life. I woke up and found myself bored. Atrophied. I’m ready for stimulation, action, art, PEOPLE. My God there’s nobody here. Get me near some fucking people. I feel like I’ve been left unplugged in some forgotten place . . . ‘Hmmm look at this thing I found in the attic. I guess it doesn’t work. Oh look, it just needs to be plugged in. Bzzz. Brrr. Chuhnk. Wunka-wunka-wunka-wunka. Wow, this thing’s incredible! It works perfectly. Geez, I could have really used this a few years ago. Wish I knew it was up there’

Oh, lookee over there, across the country, a big ol’ power socket. Hmm, never noticed that before. I guess it's time to toss my comfortable life and go check it out.

5 comments:

sarala said...

Brave or crazy? That is the question.
In either event, good luck to both of you in your new move. Portland is a great city for what it's worth.

Ellen said...

Yes, good luck to you both. And I agree, great choice for a new beginning. Of course, seeing Paula's picture of Stowe below and hearing the details of your setup, I'd sure like to take your place in Vermont:)

alan said...

I wish you luck in your new adventure and life style.You go for it......

Mikel O'Brien said...

Still not sure why you chose Portland, Oregon? There are cultural communities all over the US - do tell when you have a chance! An inquiring mind wants to know! :)

self taught artist said...

i know elle...no one would believe how good/bad it is here. its going to ALL be in the book one day. we have to move before we can write about it ;)
thanks alan!
mikel, tod can answer on his end. but i will say we aren't sure either...its almost like playing with a wiji (sp)board...we asked and it went there. we got no internal NO's when we check in and suddenly it took on a life of its own. we are on the horse and that is where its heading.