7/15/09

orange is the new black...

Exoplanet II #2/5

Mixed Media, 2009

Total Size 17.5x18(in)

$400


...or something like that. Here we have a nice, smallish piece of metal flashing that I cut and ground to a smooth edge, I then bent it to form a box so the piece isn't flat against the wall. (you know how much i hate flat right?) I also float mounted the photograph onto 1/4" wood. And for newcomers who aren't familiar, I have my photographs professionally laminated onto a beveled MDF board so there is no need for glass and the piece can 'breath'.

I wanted to make a small, simpler work that is also less expensive than my usual mixed media pieces. This photograph is a limited ed. print of five. The piece is lightweight and super cool industrial. I happen to have a long orange/blue piece of auto metal tod found that matches it perfectly, which leads me to suggest anyone purchasing this might like to have another orange piece of art on a floor stand below or near this, it's rather striking that way.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Looks good Paula. Very urban industrial looking. And while it is light enough for hanging eaisly it looks very substantial!

self taught artist said...

thanks karen, appreciate the feedback! never easy to take photos of photographs and steel...

StellaD said...

Very colorful, I really like this piece. I like the way you 'float' your photos off the background to give them a more 3D effect. You've got me looking at my photo efforts in a different way. You're always so inspiring! :)

self taught artist said...

thank you stella!!! in real life its much more industrial and tight...a sturdy tough piece with character!
...and hows that furniture coming along :)