7/21/09

dumpster gods and some cluelessness

The dumpster gods were good to me. I have wanted some horses for a few years now but am always repelled at the prices of them both in stores and on craigslist. Last night's foray into a nearby construction dumpster provided me with a surprise! The legs were folded up so at first I had no idea what they were. It was just after dusk and hard to even see, but I saw one metal thing and pulled it out ~ fiddled with the legs which fold into the body and was off to search for its mate! So now I have two horses :) It was a delightful find and I had tod with me so I didn't have to lug them home by myself on the trail home.

Artwise I'm still working but have slowed down as the house owners are here and I get a little frozen sometimes. Going for lots of walks and planning my MA getaway either this week or next. Was looking into holyoke, ma as I'm seeing more mill studios for rent at a ridiculous price; after checking out the city on wikipedia I see its the poorest most crime ridden area in MA. Bummaluma. Tod and I keep thinking we dont want to live in MA because they force you to get medical insurance and we are more alternative in our healing modalities BUT it sure seems like that is an area to be near to have an art life going. New Hampshire seems a little dead in the water when I go to craigslist and look at artists/job/gigs. Maine has more going on but feels even more removed than Vermont. Haven't looked into upstate NY and CT seems too flat. I gotsta have me some mountains to hike if at all possible. We don't like flat. Picky us.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

try the maine coast, not as removed, but not nearly as cheap.....The island institute and rockland also if you go a little inland like freedom, liberty, searsmont, appleton, Washington, housing is a lot cheaper, but still withoin driving distance to great culturally hip towns (in its own relative context!!) so, still would love to meet at trader joes if you get down here. let me know!

self taught artist said...

you got it michelle, will be in touch about when i'm going down or coming up to meet at TJ's or swing by your town :)
maine just feels isolated :( i think i've had enough isolation! but ears open eyes wide!

deb said...

Come visit me in upstate NY and get a feel for the foothills and the art scene!!

self taught artist said...

i've got your number ;0

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Love your new horse--amazing what people throw away! What about Virginia?

self taught artist said...

hey dawn nice to see you here :)
i've found some incredible things in the dumpsters...
virginia...i remember tod and i looking there but i think it is too expensive and too far away from MA and NY, its either around here or just get it over with and go west again but not yet.... you know that thing, when it feels right you will know it. thanks for the suggestion though!

Tracy said...

You can visit me too, but I warn you NO art scene here at all!!!

Look into the Woodstock area, NY. Not cheap though there could be some deals now, tons of alternative healers and a lot artists live there too. I am totally moving there once my kids leave home ;)