7/28/09

52 Tile, Mixed Media 2009


52 Tile, 2009
Mixed Media on board

Finally finished this piece tonight, now I can go on my trip to MA tomorrow and know I'm leaving a studio without unfinished business beckoning. Hoping when I get back in a week or so to take it to the gallery in stowe as they will have another opening early Sept and will want new work. Someone on facebook suggested I do a series of these and I can see myself doing that if I can somehow find enough old tiles that still have grout and backing on them. It is the BACK of the tile that is the most interesting and beautiful. This was a rather pain staking undertaking, having to find pieces of the grout and fit them just so, some were thick, old, crusty...it was like putting together a puzzle. I love this piece, it feels very powerful in person. So much so that I took it down from the wall and put it back on the table in the studio, I don't know why I do that with pieces that scare me, meaning, they feel too powerful to be on the wall just yet and I always envision them crashing to the ground with their shear weight. Not physical weight either, just their presence. Got alot of WOW's from Tod tonight (he is my art-o-meter). Good by people! Not sure when I'm coming back, wont have handy internet so who knows if/when I will post. Hope to be back alive, ready for whatever is next, maybe with more info about art studios, galleries, living and of course lots of found objects!

8 comments:

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

Absolutely powerful. Reminds me a little of a snake's shed skin, beautiful and a trace of history...

Karen said...

Very strong piece. love the texture of it. Iconic with its center cross.

self taught artist said...

omg dawn THAT IS IT snake shed skin! i knew that netting felt like something familiar. good eye!
and then karen, i forget totally about the cross, i'm all lost in bits and pieces of grout to see much right now.

Angela Recada said...

This piece is incredible! I hope you have a good trip.

Margaret Ryall said...

Paula,
I love this piece because of the surface quality. You are so right that the opposite side of the tile is the most interesting. Tile is vivid in my mind right now becasue two weeks ago I finished laying 1/2 inch mosaic glass tiles in my daughters bathroom. It is so cool and perfect, but I kept rubbing my hands over the netting on the back and thinking about it applied in the opposite direction and you were doing just that!

San said...

Wow, not that I've read Dawn's comment, I'm seeing shed snake skin too. With the cross, that's pretty evocative.

Hope you're having a great trip to Massachusetts! Bring back stories and lots of art ideas...

Philip said...

I haven't been around for awhile and I was bowled over when I saw this. Just my thing!

self taught artist said...

hey mary, funny to hear that, was it new tile? is it an interesting on the back? wonder where i can get more...
thanks san, good to hear from you....i'm working on it, hoping to have good things to share for sure.
philip, thanks! good to know you are still out there.