5/12/09

Feeling Functional

I know, you have seen these pieces before but I recently took new and improved bigger better photos of the two hay shelves and I wanted to share their beauty! I recently got the table below posted on notcot.org (which boosted my web page viewing nearly ten fold), and that if you include my coffee table I appear to have a small table collection starting to form.

No surprise, I have two more tables in the making. One is fairly simple but of course technically I will be struggling for god knows how long. Yesterday proved to be a day of tantrums when after searching for a socket wrench in vain, and trying to come up with a solution to skip the need for said socket wrench I instead started work on the second idea. It started as a chair idea and by nighttime as I lay in bed drawing out how I might want this to go I found it turning into a table. Which then made total sense as I continue to feel drawn to functional art and already have a few tables completed. I'm going to be a table queen, just you watch.

10 comments:

sarala said...

I still love the bookshelves.
Do you see the tables as indoor or outdoor? It occurred to me that either would look great as garden art if they're not too subject to rust or other weather damage. Not that rust is such a bad thing. :).

Ellen said...

I love where you hauled those haystack shelves. Great photo, very monolithic looking. And I'm with Sarala, I see the potential for some very cool outdoor living furniture. And no need for prissy coasters on those babies, go table queen!

Margaret Ryall said...

I'm liking your move toward functional art. I agree with Ellen that your placement of the pieces on the steps is creating a monolithic feel to the work.

JAXTER said...

ditto to all the prior comments - the table rocks - I loved it the first time I saw it and it still resonates! The functional turn seems to just make sense - and congrats on the increase in site traffic...

Karen said...

O.K. The photos are stellar! The bookcases..I covet them...the table, super,with storage space too! Functional art. What better way to live with amazing things then through art!

self taught artist said...

thanks you guys, love the feedback on the pictures!! it still hasn't occurred to me to make outdoor anything...not sure why that is. maybe because i am aware of my interior space and wanting to make it unique and USEFUL. if i'm outdoors i'm apt to be walking or shooing bugs away and not lounging, that could change if and when I have my own place :)

deb said...

just when I have fore sworn making money to have time to make art, I visit here and instantly regret that decision, now I want a clock and a table, grrrr. and I agree they would make swanky outdoor stuff that it seems to em everyone would lust after for their suitably distressed porch/patio. at least around here where we flock outdoors after being trapped in the house by snow!

Kim Hambric said...

Fantastic photo of the shelves.

No doubt you will be the table queen. Keep those ideas coming. Everyone can use another table -- indoors or out.

BlueJude said...

WOW!!!! LOVE all the new stuff! MISS YA STA! I laways thought you were queen anyhoo! (:

San said...

I enjoyed re-visiting the "Old" table, and yes, those hay shelves are gorgeous. I am jealous.