5/6/09

destruction and resurrection

yep, another clock. this one is #86. fourteen more and i'm done with the series. i thought i might whip through these but now i'm not so sure. I don't multi task well, when i'm working on one project its difficult for me to trot over to another one and pick up where i left off.

the puzzle project is laborious, so far i'm on month four of it and i think it will be 3 or 4 more months before i'm done. i do hope i'm able to find a way to feel motivated to do something else too.

take this clock. last week i had all these tiles glued onto it and spent 4 days trying to get the fricking hands to 'go with it'. no color worked. what i did was instead put a little cloth over all 34 tiles and beat the living shit out of them with a hammer. a day later i then scraped them all off and cleaned up the plate. i kept the color that i had painted (adding to it just a little) on the top and bottom and finally found some metal to cut up and fit in the center. the hands are a bit greyer and lighter in shade....for the life of me i can never get good photos of my artwork. after 3 hours of dicking around with picture taking and editing i give up. this piece reminds me of an abandoned car out in the desert. i think it is quite attractive in real life. you'll just have to buy it to see for yourself.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Ha! I love it and I love the 'sell' too! Sorry I haven't been around much. I promise to be a better commentator. But I'm always reading and enjoying your thoughts.

Kim Hambric said...

Cool clock. I'm not sure that you would appreciate my laughing at your post. I did get an amusing mental picture of you beating up the tiles. Your persistence at completing this piece says something positive about you.

self taught artist said...

your forgiven ellen, glad you still read my drivel.
and kim, i dont mind you laughing. it was funny after the vein receded from my forehead.

San said...

Like that Pollock thing you've got going...