4/12/09

whats in your basket

First in the easter egg basket is a movie called 'A Certain Kind of Death'. On Netflix it says: Winner of a Sundance Special Jury Prize, this sobering documentary begs the question, "What happens to people who die without any next of kin?" Filmmakers Grover Babcock and Blue Hadaegh examine the deaths of three people with no known family members. As the various public employees deal with corpses, finances and property, the film slowly unravels the individuals' life stories through family photos, letters and conversations with caseworkers.

Watched this last night with Tod and we were riveted by certain aspects of how this was filmed. Fascinating...educational....a little creepy but for sure you wont be the same after watching. Mostly we were obsessed with how much work the state went through dealing with people's bodies AND their possessions. It was exhausting and in an odd way reminded me of the penal system, in that we always manage to suck out as much time and money getting the job done as possible. (at least that is how it looks to me). Reminds me why I want to own as little as possible and 'leave no trace' when I kick the bucket.

Next goodie in our little basket is the doc. Trashed. Synopsis: “Trashed” is a provocative investigation of one of the fastest growing industries in North America. The garbage business. The film examines a fundamental element of modern American culture…the disposal of what our society defines as “waste.” It is an issue influenced by every American, most of whom never consider the consequences. Nor, it seems, the implications to our biosphere. At times humorous, but deeply poignant, “Trashed” examines the American waste stream fast approaching a half billion tons annually....'

I have yet to watch it all, Tod already zipped through it and what little I have heard makes me anxious to watch the rest. Things that I never considered, such as the fact that plastic is a by-product of oil (if I understood tod right but will soon learn from the doc) so if/when oil is gone what the heck are we gonna do...tv's, computers...everything is plastic. Fascinating to think, gets the little brain going.

It's supposed to snow today.
I've gotten 5 hours of sleep and am waiting for tod to wake up, we thought we would start a tradition of easter egg hunting for scrap on the roadside. It's only 5:30 am....I might have to go back to bed.

What else can I put in the basket. It's quiet out there. Back to feeling all alone in blog land. Feel free to say hi paula... you aren't alone... i'm still here... i still read your stupid blog.

7 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

Hi Paula. You aren't alone. I'm still here. I still read your fascinating blog.

That Easter egg basket is full of interesting and depressing stuff. I just watched Sicko (finally) and that really has taken the wind out of my sails. I think I would just be overwhelmed by Trashed.

Have a good, hard-thinking Easter. I'm off to eat some Easter ham.

self taught artist said...

i can count on you kim :)
strangely none of this got me in a mood..i find it fascinating and kind of inspiring. not sure why.
enjoy your ham my friend.

Karen said...

Hey Paula! You are not alone I read your insightful blog.
No Easter basket today..It is cold here too. And very quiet. Good Trash hunting today!!

Ellen said...

I ALWAYS read your blog, and right away when it pops up in my blogs. I'm beginning to realize if I don't comment right away, time just zooms by and you're such a bloody frequent poster (putting me to shame) that my comments become old news.
Anyways, happy to hear about another documentary to watch. Plastic is an obsession of mine, it IS everywhere and I seriously thought of trying to go one day without it and tried to visualize how I could do that, then realized it was impossible. (I even did a fictional post about how that day would play out)

For some reason the first documentary is something i think I wouldn't handle very well. Too sad.

Hope the roadside hunt was fruitful, but what? not even a little chocolate?

self taught artist said...

i will try to be less needy and insecure...i have problems.

no! that first video isn't sad at all...and no chocolate other than what i have everyday anyhow ;)

i love that plastic is an obsession of yours. i wonder if artists have ever gotten involved much with scientists and given thoughts to things. i'm sure its been done. i'd vote for you and tod to give thoughts!

Angela Recada said...

Hi Paula - I always check out your blog but don't always have the time to leave a thoughtful comment. You deserve more than a quick, "yup - I agree with you." :)

You really find some interesting docs to watch. The one about the garbage strikes home. That brings up another problem I have with where I live. (It's a never-ending list!)

Our community proudly has one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, dump in the state. In fact, our local government gladly received 20million $ to bury trash from another state in our landfill. This $ funded our new library. So now we have an ugly new library with lots of empty, unusable space and empty shelves because they didn't set aside any $ for something as useless as BOOKS! And we have mountains made of trash. The mountains of trash attract thousand of gulls, which live off the garbage and visit the high school fields and countless parking lots in search of more garbage. Flying rats.

I look forward to your posts and your comments on mine. I think we could have some interesting conversations if we ever met.

self taught artist said...

thanks angela, i would hate one of those quick retorts :)
the flying rats getting all they want in comparison to the library not doesn't sound like a good deal at all.
its amazing the things people can share in posts and comments :)