3/12/09

quote

Just finished an interesting memoir by Mary Gordon, throughout the book she refers to Pierre Bonnard's life and work and the kicker was the end page, Mary says that Bonnard spoke about the artist's granting human value to objects, he spoke of distance; he spoke of vanishing. I have never heard that and it woke me up...Artist's Granting Human Value to Objects. TATTOO THAT ONTO YOUR HEAD PAULA.

a quote from him:

"Speaking when you have something to say is like looking. But who looks? It is because people have no idea how to look that they hardly ever understand."

At the end of his life, Bonnard said, "I am only now beginning to understand. I should start all over."

This was a strange, and at times hard to digest book, I can't say I've ever read anything quite like it.

3 comments:

TSL said...

I can't identify with the human value given objects, that is certainly a stretch for me. But I love that you love reading.

Kim Hambric said...

I'm reading this at 7:30 a.m. on my rust belt tour after a bad night's sleep. I'm not sure I would be able to understand a single sentence in this book. I think I'll have to reread this post after lunch. Or perhaps I have just gone dumb.

Thanks for being my #1 blog supporter!

self taught artist said...

the rust belt tour...your a nut.
will be waiting for blog photos of this rust belt tour of yours.