3/28/09

Fiber Artist Kim Habric

I wanted to write about a fellow artist, blogger friend who has recently finished a body of work called 'New Orleans Series'. I've been enjoying Kim's blog for well over a year now, she never fails to make me laugh with her dry humor and keen wit. Kim is seemingly always challenging herself to push further than she is sometimes comfortable with, this last series is proof what can come about when you follow your passion. She has had New Orleans on her mind, from listening to music, reading, and in yanking that little google guy around and visiting god knows where on google maps.... from that obsession a whole collection has grown!

I am curious to see what she is able to do next with this series. Part of what intrigues me about Kim is her frustrations with getting the art out there, finding the right place for both her and her work. It hasn't been easy and I'm not sure she is any closer to really knowing how she wants it all to play out, but I hope with this new series and her desire to donate a % of the earnings to New Orleans, that she will get closer to finding her people, her place.

One thing I know, she is talented at what she does. On Kim's about her page she says:

My art relies primarily on nature for its imagery. I create my own fabrics using paints that react with the sun. I often use leaves, pine needles, or grasses to pattern my fabrics. I also use shapes cut from thin sheets of foam.

Above is a piece of fabric saturated with paint, and covered with leaves drying in the sun. After the paint is dry, I remove the leaves (or other pieces), heat-set my fabrics with an iron, and my fabric is ready to use. (see below)

Kim also incorporates applique and decorative stitching as well as beading and stamping to her works; the end result being lots of texture, shape, color, and movement.

I appreciate Kim as an artist because she too is out there doing her thing with little to no support and yet she keeps plugging away despite the frustration and doubt. While our works are very different, I feel a kinship with Kim and am glad to know she is out there. I wish you the BEST with this new series and hope you find the perfect place to exhibit and sell it! You can see her work on her website, etsy, and ebay. Go check her out and say hello!

11 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

Beautiful work. I particularly liked hearing about her process for creating sun bleached patterns on fabric.

This was a lovely introduction to an artist's work I didn't know.

Nellie's Needles said...

YES, Kim's work is wonderful! I, too, have enjoyed following her processes and bits of humor and rants about life. Even though she and I work in the same medium, I discovered her through a comment she left on your blog.

sarala said...

That is a fabulous process to create fabric. I love the idea of leaf images or shadows. Thanks for the intro. Very well written too P.

self taught artist said...

i wanted to write more and exclaim about how varied and colorful kim's work is...i'm still new at this writing about artists thing and get overwhelmed!

Kim Hambric said...

Paula, Thank you thank you thank you. I must say, it is better than I could have done myself.

It means a great deal to me that you took the time to put this together.

self taught artist said...

Kim, I'm glad you approve that makes my day!

San said...

Kim is VERY talented. Thank you for sharing her with us!

Karen said...

Paula, how wonderful of you to showcase Kim and other artists as well!! I have been reading Kims blog for a long time, wonderful work she is doing!

self taught artist said...

see kim...people DO go to your blog!

Marty's Fiber Musings said...

Oh, yes, Kim, you have been on my "favorites" for quite a while. I love your work.

Thanks, Paula, for showcasing Kim. She truly deserves the recognition.

Ellen said...

Paula, what a wonderful write up. You're such a generous person. Kim's work is beautiful and vibrant and I love her wit. I had no idea that was part of her process for printing on fabric. Very cool.