3/24/09

Felter Vilte Kazlauskaite

The best thing about doing that ETSY treasury a few days ago besides showcasing friends & new found works, was getting a comment from someone who does this work! We've had a few emails since and I asked Vilte if I could share this piece & write about her on my blog. I can't stop looking at this rug, it is a landscape of beautiful terrain, I disappear every time I look into it.

I'm most impressed by her website, the way she showcases her work is art in and of itself. Vilte Kazlauskaite, is a felter from Lithuania, on her profile she says:

I started my journey into magical world of felt about 3 years ago (I was a psychologist, dance therapist before). Felting became an important part of my life, I got so much into it that I have also published a book "Veltinis" ("Felt") about felting technique in Lithuania (it is the first book in Lithuania covering this textile art).

Her works are represented in galleries and boutiques in Lithuania. I'm intrigued and inspired by her work as she is a self taught artist, wife and mother of two small children and yet manages to find time and inspiration to work even without the benefit of a studio. The wool she uses is as she says, absolutely raw wool from rare breed of sheep - Drenthe Heath. Vilte uses other usual and prepared fibers as well. She says these rugs are her favorites but due to the nature of the work she rarely makes them. She explains: ...that this wool is straight from the sheep - it is dirty and has a smell but after the felting process the rug is absolutely clean of course, though I leave in some pieces of straws that get entangled with wool some times. It is more natural and wild for me in this way... I love it's wild and at the same time elegant nature..

Vilte also has two blogs (I've yet to find a translator for a Lithuanian website, so far just bits of text) which you can find on her website, her other works are elegant, colorful, sensual and surprising! There are many more works on her website so go have a look! Thank you for letting me write about you and your work, I know you have that special something and you are going to make it!

7 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

Thanks Paula for bringing this artist to your blog. I looked at her website and the work and the presentation of it is truly elegant and beautiful.

self taught artist said...

I'm glad you went and looked Margaret...she is amazing isn't she? I get happy (and envious)every time I look at her work.

Vilte said...

Paula, thank you so much for writing about my works in your blog! You write so beautifuly and sincerely..I even think I am not worth all these words. Your art is in my mind and heart now. Happy to have met you!

self taught artist said...

I'm glad you approve Vilte, and I'm doubly glad to have met you and been exposed to your fantastic art and heart!

The Minimalist said...

Hey how are you? I've got a little shop on ETSY too. I took down my watercolors and put up my jewelry, but have been remiss at keeping it current. I have been making and selling a ton of jewelry through parties. I'm doing a large party at a pub on Monday night with some other venders. Thanks for sharing the felt lady. She is quite cool.

self taught artist said...

hey long time no you minimalist! good to hear from you and yes i knew about your etsy shop! (i've commented on your blog). glad its going well for you!

Karen said...

Beautiful web site Vilte has! I love her textures, Makes me want to touch them!!! Thanks for the heads up, Isn't blogging wonderful!