3/2/09

borrowing brilliance

Ellen posted a brilliant idea, selling art and sending the money directly to Kiva via gift certificates. Kiva is a site that has been set up to give loans to people in other countries, specifically entrepreneurs or communities who are trying to start or keep businesses afloat. I know of people who have done this and they do get their money back faster than you'd believe. I'd like to extend a similar offer on a few pieces of art that I too feel the need to get out there to the universe. YOU pick the person you want to loan the money to and let me know who it is via email link, after your purchase is completed through me I will send the money to whomever you choose, once that transaction has been completed I will email you proof of the loan information. You will be benefiting both the artist and someone who is also needy in another country as they will get the $$ first and when they pay it back, I will have been helped as well.

I'd like to start with these clocks of which three are left @ $75.00 (free shipping), you can contact me directly if interested. Also I will loan $100 from each RR Clock sold. I am really inspired by the idea of loaning through Kiva as I'd love to be able to help others but don't have the funds to do it myself, this truly benefits two or more people at once!

Regardless of if you buy art at this time, I hope some of you at least get turned on to a great site/idea, that helps people help themselves. You can view my Kiva page here.

Here are some stats from Kiva:

Total value of all loans made through Kiva: $62,148,385
Number of Kiva Lenders: 454,544
Number of loans that have been funded through Kiva: 88,869
Percentage of Kiva loans which have been made to women entrepreneurs: 77.94%
Number of Kiva Field Partners (microfinance institutions Kiva partners with): 95
Number of countries Kiva Field Partners are located in: 44
Current repayment rate (all partners): 97.78%
Current default rate (all partners): 2.22%
Average loan size (This is the average amount loaned to an individual Kiva Entrepreneur. Some loans - group loans - are divided between a group of borrowers.): $427.65
Average total amount loaned per Kiva Lender (includes reloaned funds): $136.86
Average number of loans per Kiva Lender: 3.76

4 comments:

JAXTER said...

I LOVE this idea - how awesome! I have been loaning to IVA for a bit now and have really enjoyed the process - and this new twist is just great.

self taught artist said...

thanks jaxter, all the credit goes to ellen even though she is doing it a little differently, she inspired me immediately!!! if this works i think i will put a % on any art sold to kiva!

Ellen said...

Yay Paula!! Hope you get lots of sales. I'm glad you posted those Kiva stats. It's such a great organization.

There was a documentary on tv a few weeks ago about micro lending and poverty. Fantastic stories there. It's amazing how something as small as $100 can buy everything for a woman in Bolivia to start a fish farm and completely transform a family, then a community's life.

Thanks for doing this. You rock!

self taught artist said...

hey ellen, thank YOU for inspiring me to feel like i can be a part of helping others too! sorry i missed that doc. man i want to move to bolivia and start a fish farm if thats all it takes. do we have anything like this for us here in america i wonder?