2/5/09

tri-strip cryptic script #80/100

I haven't worked on a Limited Ed. RR Clock since last November? Hard to believe I have actually made 80 clocks on these railroad plates. Twenty left, I figure this year I will complete the series and that will be the end of a three+ year journey. For anyone who has ever done a large series before, you know that it is a journey in and of itself. Looking at all the clocks I have made in chunks of 10 or 20, shows me the progress I have made in my technical abilities as well as my willingness to push some boundaries of what I thought was possible. I feel already a sadness for it coming to an end and wonder what else if anything will be as much fun as these RR Clocks. I always have about 7 or 8 clocks up in our living space, only one or two actually ticking away with a battery in them. It is more about the art than the clock for me, perhaps the hands are symbolic of something bigger than an actual telling of the current time, I honestly cannot imagine these plates without the clocks in them. Those delicate little hands hold the piece together. Each clock I make it always comes down to the hands. Which shape hands will I choose and lastly and most maddeningly (at times), what color to paint them? It is the very last thing I do and often takes more time than you would even want to know, it is the deal breaker for the piece when all is said and done.

5 comments:

sarala said...

Three cheers for the latest clock. I too will be saddened when you finish the 100th clock. And curious as to what comes next. Keep on turning them out!

deb said...

i think I had better start saving so I can get one before they are all gone!!!

Michelle said...

I think for many artists it is the process, not the outcome sometimes.
Cheers!

Philip said...

I really like this - especially the unusual nature of it. I think your clocks say a lot about the passage of time in all sorts of ways. They are not just clocks in my eyes and I guess this is how you feel about them too? I remember seeing a wonderful exhibition at the Barbican in London which was a show based on how different artists dealt with the passage of time in their work.Your work would have fitted in perfectly.

self taught artist said...

philip, i love hearing there was an exhibition about dealing with the passage of time, especially that you think these clocks would have been a perfect fit. i still get the impression unless i'm 'famous or dead' these clocks are a diamond in the rough in the art world.