2/3/09

Applause for OVATION TV


Curlicue Sculpture, Judith Scott, 2001

Heads up for an INCREDIBLE 2 WEEKS of programming on Ovation TV (channel 157 in my hood). Last night I watched 'What's Under Your Hat?", a documentary about Judith Scott who was born with down syndrome as well as deaf. She was a twin and during her childhood was taken away to be institutionalized. Her sister Joyce got her out later when they were adults and so begins a healing, amazing journey through creating art. This is one of the most spellbinding documentaries I have ever seen. Judy was a participant in California's Creative Growth Art Center so you also get to see other artists with mental and physical disabilities who make art that in the words of one 'normal' artist, puts you to shame!

I watched this twice. I was working on my own art and mostly listening so when they repeated it later that night and Tod was watching it I sat and watched. For the next two weeks they are having a massive "I heart my art" festival showcasing Visions and Obsessions of outsider artists. From what I can see it is a nightly thing so you wont be missing anything during the day.

The Ovation channel has also been showing a lot of designer based shows filled with fantastic people and works. Here is a link to their schedule of shows. Sunday they are showing James Castle, Portrait of an Artist, it is going to kick some ass. James never learned to read, write or speak and yet made an incredibly wide range of art. Here is an excerpt from a write up of a book about his life and work. 'As a child he developed his favourite medium and method of working, mixing stove soot with saliva and applying this "ink" with sharpened sticks and cotton wads to such found materials as product packaging and discarded paper. These everyday materials have given his works a singular, immediate, and appealing natural quality.' Can't wait to see this one!

6 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

I'm envious Paula. We don't get this channel in my neck of the woods. It is definitely the kind of programming I would love to watch. Having spent half my career as an educator working with children with various disabilities, I know only too well what can be achieved through persistence and opportunity. Too bad. I must check our satellite provider and see if this channel is available.

self taught artist said...

if i had had the wherewithal to tape it i would send it to you..i think you can rent this one about judy, not sure. maybe i will tape some for you :)

deb said...

Paula thanks for stopping by the blog, wait till you see what they do in emulation of you in the found art project!!!I am using you as an example of what can be done with "junk"!!

self taught artist said...

wow, thats cool, can't wait to see ~ i'm really glad you are having fun with this class i know earlier things were a bit rough.

sami said...

i saw this documentary as well and loved it. by any chance, do you recall the name of the guy who wears the safety helmet and draws the black and white pictures of repeated words and scribbles? i loved his work and really want to find more of his stuff. thanks!

self taught artist said...

sorry sami i dont remember, i think you could probably email them on the doc. page? or watch again?