1/19/09

Vermont Bauble Clock #7, 2009



The Vermont Bauble Clock is an open ended edition of clocks that I make using found objects from around the area. This clock is another re-do, I originally kept this clock plain, added nothing but painted hands, thinking that this cow's water basin was cool enough in and of itself. I can see I was wrong. It needed balance and baubles.

A found heating element sits in the slot below and of course my trademark found washers and rubber to accentuate the time connect two main objects as a whole. To date I only have three of these old water basins. Last time I went to a farm I saw one and was informed of how they worked, apparently a lever of sorts (almost like a how a hamster gets water in their cages) is used and the cow would press it with its nose and the water would come out. The other side of the basin is bowl like and beautifully aged but I like this shown side much better. There are dark and light blues, natural cream and red all mixed together.

14 comments:

Margaret Ryall said...

Love it Paula. It's good to see you posting again.

JAXTER said...

Yay! You are back - even if it is a brief stay; it is always good to know you are still out there. And the clock, wow - love, love, love it.

self taught artist said...

thanks you guys, always good to hear positive feedback on my work!

deb said...

you are the clock diva!!!

sarala said...

I already told you that this is a great clock but it is good to see you post it. Thanks for sharing the history. It really adds to the piece.

Rob Hitzig said...

I like it. Great use of barn refuse. Why did you decide to not make it part of your limited edition clock series?

self taught artist said...

thanks shara!
hey rob, the limited ed clock series is comprised solely of clocks on RR Plates. I wanted an open edition of other clocks so i can make clocks until the day i die.

Daniel Sroka said...

You are so right - the addition of the dangling pieces (which look like twisted remains of the counter weights on an grandfather clock) really transforms this piece. beautiful!

Kim Hambric said...

Live long and make clocks. I like Daniel's interpretation of the grandfather clock. Cool.

Karen said...

the twisted loops are like icing on a cake! I love the warm rusted roundness of this clock. It is a very sensual work.

Ellen said...

Wonderful clock! You're right the added wire really completes it. Love all that beautiful rust.

Philip said...

Yes its a wonderful clock. I wonder if you have ever thought of making something like this but not for it to be a clock - just something that rotates in the middle? I only throw this in as a thought!

self taught artist said...

philip, i feel myself going in that direction but honeslty i dont have the balls yet to just make a stand alone sculpture. and i DO like my functional artwork ALOT.
nice to hear you suggest this, maybe that means you see i could do it!

Philip said...

Sure, I don't doubt you could do it. I hesitated making this suggestion because it seems like I am saying you should be doing something different. That is not the case - I just wondered if it had crossed your mind.