2/2/09

january

I sold two pieces of art in January. One in a gallery and one through ETSY. yay!!!

This is the piece that sold in the gallery. Great feeling and no one was as happy as Tod was for me. How nice to have someone to share the sales with. I crept into the bedroom and said in a hushed tone bent sold! bent sold! It wasn't nice to wake him up but I was truly caught off guard by the email from the gallery saying it sold. I was busting at the seams with happy! He finally woke up and was thrilled for me. Great way to start the day.

I call this piece Bent for obvious reasons. It is one of the coolest scrap finds I have ever found. Every time I look at a picture of it I feel this fast swishy movement from below the photograph, as if the piece is somehow connected to the train that the photo is of. I found that piece of scrap at an old dump site close to home that was being cleared out for a housing development. This was back in 2005 and at the time I hadn't made many mixed media pieces. Tod still remembers me finding it and thinking I was nuts...I kind of felt nuts too as I had no idea what I would do with it, just knew it was too fun to pass up.

Just thought I would share a sale for those artists like me out there that need to know people are still buying art!

16 comments:

Kim Hambric said...

Yippee!!!!!! I will send more positive vibes your way for continued success.

Nellie's Needles said...

WOO HOO! I'm doing a happy dance in the snow to celebrate.

self taught artist said...

thanks kim same to you.
nellie, i want a video of that happy dance in the snow....

Daniel Sroka said...

Congratulations! And good to see Etsy paying off for you.

Dan

Margaret Ryall said...

Paula,
This looks like a very interesting piece. I really like the curved lines that produce that delicate- strong look. Do you find that it looks very different depending on variations in light? I just love the shadow in the photo. It makes it 4 dimensional!! Great news about the sales. Hopefully it's a good omen for 2009.

self taught artist said...

i wouldn't know about different lighting margaret...the only place i ever hung it was in a dark narrow stair landing (horrible fluorescent lighting) and saw it twice at the gallery. they hung it low (well normal) at the gallery and no light down on it so that cool shadow didn't show up.

sarala said...

Congrats! That is absolutely great news. Thanks for sharing it. I love the name of the piece--"bent" just really does it for me. I guess I'll never get to see it in full 3-D which I bet would help get the full sense of it. The photo looks so three dimensional that I didn't even realize it was a photo until you said so.

Karen said...

Look at you!!! that is so fantastic! Doing the happy dance here for you, and no, there will be no video of that! I took a browse through the etsy site and it all looks so good. A gallery sale...that is totally good. exposure etc. Celebrate BIG!!!

Ellen said...

I love 'Bent', what a great fusion of 2D and 3D. It's completely symbiotic. Both deserved sales, the buyers have exceptional taste:)

Lisa said...

Huge congrats to you!!! Yay!!!

The Minimalist said...

I'm not surprised. This is awesome!

Seth said...

Congratulations to you! That piece is terrific and that scrap find is definitely a top ten!!

self taught artist said...

thanks you guys for sharing the HAPPY!

Steve Javiel said...

Thank you for the comments, you have beautiful work, love the abstract forms and shapes.

self taught artist said...

thank you steve j. (i hope you make your other website followable, thats the one I connected with the most)

Steve Javiel said...

I don't mind if you post them on your blog. Its great that those piece inspire you.

steve