1/27/09

hay warmer shelves

Tod and I have been enjoying the two shelves I made in December out of those hay warmer parts I got from a soon to be demolished barn. I've been meaning to take pictures and post them, I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath as to what I was going to do with them.

They are fairly simple, chest high and fit perfectly in corners. I have a handful of these and hope to make some for general consumption one day. It is a matter of finding more thick wood (i dont buy wood it has to come from a dumpster or some other free/found place) and getting a sliding compound miter saw. I can wait....its winter for gods sake.

8 comments:

sarala said...

I think this is just great. I hope you do make more. Maybe in the spring you can find some old barn would or some other salvage.

self taught artist said...

believe it or not tod brought home a taxi trunk load of wood from a construction dumpster...sinful but lucky for me they just toss perfectly good wood away. I need chunky though to fill in the space in the brackets.
i already knew you liked these :) but thanks for commenting.

Philip said...

Wow!

San said...

The HayWarmer Collection. Has a nice ring to it. Sounds like something Ralph Lauren would introduce. But it's far more interesting.

Rob Hitzig said...

I like it but how did you darken the shelves? It might also be interesting to weather the wood before using them, or is that what you did?

self taught artist said...

No they aren't weathered its acrylic.

StellaD said...

Now I really like this! You are incredible. I like the height and the overall construction. Perfect for knick-knacks. Amazing what you can do with found objects.

Would love to have a sliding compound miter saw myself. Maybe one day.

Yes, it's winter...sigh.

BlueJude said...

hey P! I've missed you. Love all the new stuff and enjoyed the posts. Hopefull I can catch up with you sometime soon. Stay warm! bluejude hugs!