1/9/09

art book recommends


Having never gone to art school or studied art much on my own, I am usually naively surprised when I find an artist who does work that reminds me of so and so who is now living. I can see the influence Alexander Calder has had on many of today's artists. Lots to read if you are so inclined (which I wasn't) and lots of fantastic photographs of his work, including watercolor and ink. This guy was a mad genius with wire and if you have children you owe it to them to show them.




Save for the last two chapters, this was a 'can't put it down' book to read. Oddly, the studio visit and Biennale chapters were unreadable for reasons I can't explain other than it was just not interesting to me.

I can however, venture to say that you have never read a book about the art world quite like this one. Sarah Thornton is a tremendous writer who studies people and takes obvious pleasure in writing about them. She slips into the art world like a 007 and finds out the information that matters. While I can see that the art world she is writing about is not a world anyone I know is likely to be a part of, (they are the upper echelons) it feels as important to know about as it does any other aspect of the art world.

10 comments:

sarala said...

I have two books going as it is. I'll have to wait on these. I like the idea of my reading an art book for a change. I'd also really like to make a point of seeing some of the videos you've recommended.
I think I'm heading out to take photos now. Good to see you back on the net.
Take a look at my "dump photos". I think you'll like them. I wanted to grab that chain for you but it wouldn't budge. It's the place I found the metal stuff I sent though.
s

Kim Hambric said...

Paula, thanks for your uplifting comment on my post.

I'm looking into Sarah Thorton's book. Wonder if it will tick me off. Sounds like a good read.

deb said...

I just finished seven days, the critique chapter made me roll on the floor...I will be buying this to read and reread...I found the studio chapter to be the most interesting, oh I wonder how it would feel to have a curator of that caliber find me that interesting.... or maybe I don't, I can't even apply for a residency without breaking out in a cold sweat this week.

deb said...

Oh and as I was going away it occurred to me that the Albright Knox in Buffalo has its Calders out of mothballs right now, they are hanging over the main staircase and they make THE MOST AMAZING shadows on the white institutional walls, I would have loved to see inside his studio when it was full of work, the light must have been incredible.

Michelle said...

just a check in to say hi and keep warm!

self taught artist said...

will have to check into that deb, sounds interesting!
hey back michelle..i'm loving the cold LOVING IT
shara, your dump photos and house photos are superb.
and kim...keep going :)

Karen said...

loving the cold....ARE YOU MAD???? LoL. ok ok. you can love the cold. it keeps people away at least. except for the occasional person who pokes the head out the door to get the mail and says, quite seriously, well, your used to this cold...HA!

self taught artist said...

karen, i was checking if anyone was reading my comments :)
the cold is refreshing. i love the hot i love the cold...its all the same it passes and life goes on. or not.then it dont matter how frickin cold it is.

Steve Kane said...

I made my parents flick through my Philip Guston book, enthusing like a madman and explaining the man's genius.

Not entirely sure that I convinced them.

sarala said...

I just saw a Calder exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art here in Chicago. It is amazing to see his mobiles up close. There is so much three dimensional to them that cannot be picked up in a book. He had one sculpture of a bird made of coffee cans that seemed well before his time. Reduce/Reuse/Recycle and all that.
It's an interesting museum and has a great bookstore but some of the installations stretched my viewpoint of what is art. I guess that is what modern art is supposed to do.