12/4/08

my most creative moment this week

LOOK EVERYONE!!!! I made a ....box! That is my pride and joy let me tell ya. Actually I'm very proud of my efforts (yeah take a leveler to it and you will find it isn't perfect but hey it adds to the charm). I had to pack up a long thin (about 14 x 46") framed drawing to send off and I couldn't find a perfect fitting box. A few summers ago I dug out some huge boxes in the dumpster behind the hardware store so I just cut one up and reshaped it.

I don't know about you guys but I refuse, absolutely REFUSE to buy packing and shipping materials. I remember being crazed about two years ago, stocking up on Styrofoam and bubble wrap, boxes and peanuts, all FREE via that freecycle.org site that Tod's mom turned us on to. Sure I drove all over the place getting it but at least I was getting stuff that otherwise was headed for the dump. I've found many businesses are more than happy to give you boxes and peanuts as are self employed people, one person in Burlington sold satellite equipment and had tons of styrofoam that is perfect for lining the sides of a box to protect your art.

Other than packing tape it is all free. Keeps costs down and I don't need to charge anyone for handling expenses! I swear I love packing up art to ship off almost as much as making it.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

That is o heck of a box!

Tracy said...

I am very impressed with your box making abilities! I have a terrible issue with cardboard though and could never build my own boxes. Folding and taping them up is bad enough. So I buy packing materials (except peanuts, they are evil:) but am also militant abut reusing them as well as what gets shipped to me. I have a whole closet full of recycled packing materials.

self taught artist said...

thanks ladies, maybe i should start my own packing business for artist :)

Steve Kane said...

Nice box-work, my friend.

"Hey guys! Check out the box-job on Paula's blog!"

"Sweet."

self taught artist said...

okay settle down...

Leon Basin said...

You have a very inspiring blog.

Karen said...

I hesitate posting a comment because I am thisclose to saying something silly....
like.. A stark and bold statement to peoples need to hoard..
or, Conceptually brillant installation of lifes boundries..
... snickering...
Great box. Better art inside!

self taught artist said...

karen...ahhahahahahaa, i love it!!!!

self taught artist said...

thanks leon
its that box isn't it? you are inspired!

Bob Johnson said...

Wow, you make boxes too, why am I just hearing about this now,lol.