12/7/08

heads up for movie night


Art School Confidential
Appeared at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival
The creators of GHOST WORLD, cartoonist/screenwriter Daniel Clowes and filmmaker Terry Zwigoff (CRUMB), return with a dark and subversive portrait of art school as a hotbed of ego, pretension, insecurity and phoniness. Max Minghella plays Jerome, an earnest young student who flees the suburbs for Strathmore Academy, a renowned institution situated in a rough New York neighborhood. Among the characters he encounters are a life-drawing instructor (John Malkovich) obsessed with his failed career and a washed-up former prodigy (Jim Broadbent)

Tonight at 10pm on Sundance. It could suck, but worth checking out.

6 comments:

AnitaNH said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've added it to my netflix queue! I saw Ghost World a while ago (with Scarlett Johansson, Thora Birch, and Steve Buscemi and it was weird and funny at the same time.
-AnitaNH

Tracy said...

I saw this movie and while the story gets a little bit crazy about midway through, the art school scenes are spot on. I know this because I went to art college and I knew the exact same students 20 years ago. Some things never change:) My husband and I were hysterical during the crit scene, it was so funny and true.

self taught artist said...

i saw that one too anita, love steve b.
tracy,thanks for letting us know it is on point, i will see what i missed in life.

self taught artist said...

so did anyone see this?
i taped it, i have to confess i wanted to watch californication instead....

deb said...

I had already seen it, and in some spots it is hysterically spot on, but I think it elevates stereotypes about artists that I don't want to indulge in... so I watched it once and moved on!

Ellen said...

Ooooh, so it's this one and not Klimt with John Malkovich you were talking about. I saw it a while ago, thought it was okay, loved Ghost World. For a better idea of what art school is like, the character Claire and her experience in art college in the last 2 seasons (I think) of Six Feet Under is freakishly accurate(and funny). Actually the whole art fame, pretentiousness of some of the art world is dealt with, worth watching if you haven't seen it.