12/17/08

chunks of progress

All I wanted to do was cut this thick wood into the shapes you see. I didn't have the right tool to cut the wood. Compound sliding miter saws, used can cost three to seven hundred dollars. I was stuck. Stymied. Couldn't go on until I found a way. I still want a compound miter saw but for now I'm happy to say I don't have to go further into debt to get the job done.

It doesn't take much to make my day. The gallery owner in Montpelier is also an artist who's medium is wood. I asked him if he could help and he said sure come on by. While it seems pathetic to me that I don't know anyone in my town to help...I'm EVER so thankful I knew one person in this state that could help without making me feel like I owe them for the rest of my life.

Not only that, he cut the wood (since I didn't know how to use the saw and knew I would fuck it up) and showed me how to measure the object that the wood is for (it's slanted and I never took measuring 101). In my book, this is like the invention of the wheel when I can learn something and get something accomplished that previously had me completely blocked. whoo hoo. more art, this time it is going to be just for me and tod ~ so I don't have to stuff it in the basement and complain.

3 comments:

sarala said...

More art--good!

deb said...

hey I have a saw, I got a grant to buy it, but I still can't use it right!! I always have to cut more than one piece, maybe I needed your measuring advice too!!!

self taught artist said...

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I WANT A GRANT FOR A SAW!!!!!!!!