11/2/08

Weird Story:

Can you imagine? I read this post and had to laugh out of nervous hysteria. (I'm sorry the guy died, that isn't funny) I mean think about it, all the things we dream for in life and here is an example of someone spending 45 years trying for that ONE PERFECT THING and then he gets it and just DIES!

Makes ya think doesn't it? What if you got it? What if suddenly everyone wanted you, your art, your book, your whatever. What if you finally got that house, that car, that mate that job....maybe it would kill you. Maybe it wouldn't be what you thought it would be. Maybe the journey really is the best part about going towards anything.

Two nights ago I had a dream that I was at a party with a woman who suddenly became an instant success. She was an author and the room was filled with everyone trying to get a picture of her, her autograph etc. I was watching from afar and could see the confusion on her face because this isn't what she had bargained for...the chaos and people suddenly expecting and wanting things from her. It was obvious she was uncomfortable and just wanted her privacy back.

Last night I dreamed about having absolutely nothing but the clothes on my back. All sorts of things were happening in the dream but it came down to me being on the street talking to some women and me having the full realization of how I am me. I am me. Not anything else. Not what I look like, not what I have, not what I own. It was a startling dream, vivid in feeling and understanding about how [we] use possessions as a way of staking a claim to who we are. What if you really had nothing? Who would you be?

Just thoughts...strange dreams, strange stories...strange life.

4 comments:

schnoobie said...

Interesting how you can recall details with such vividness. I'm seriously digging your work facinating and truly original.You have a lot of courage venturing out into the great unknown and into the art making arena. I applaude you!! As far as your dry hands go..try Bag Balm (green tin made in Vermont) quilters use it for pricked fingers and I've found it great for all kinds of stuff. Also Badger Balm for Feet is good and smells better..

self taught artist said...

schnoobie, thanks for good comments on my art :) and bag balm!!! I checked your blog out too...gorgeous work, you quilters are awesome!

Michelle said...

Thoughtful post. Hmmm, if I had nothing i would always be me. But can you HAVE Nothing?
I think this is an area alot of people are thinking about in these times. When there are so many things to have, it is easier to think about that than to honestly work to become the best you that you can be.
Keep up the great posts!

self taught artist said...

i think few of us know who we are. I was never good at philosophical debate as far as can you have nothing...
i would agree though, it is easier to think about STUFF instead of being the best you can be. sometimes its best to not think. period. who knows...