11/18/08

best ever art experiences

Here are the ones posted so far, thanks for sharing ladies, I'm having fun reading them.

karen:

Paula,
I finally think I have one best ever art experiences.. acutally there are many many more but here are two for your blog.
1. hiking around Taos in New Mexico and while taking a rest break looking up and realizing I was looking at the hills as Georgia Okeeffe painted them.I recognized the shapes from her paintings, the same shapes and colors. I had lived in New Mexico for some time but it was the first time I stood out in the high desert with that vista in front of me. I felt so inspired! when I was back at my home I spent some time just browsing through one of my Okeefe books just looking at her painted hills. I felt a kindred connection even though I had never met the woman but her art spoke volumns to me.
2. Meeting the artists R.C. Gorman in chicago. he was funny,kind and very flirtatious! I was nearly speechless. It was a wonderful fun evening full of artists and the energy was so creative you could cut it with a knife!
There are many many more but these were two of my favorites.


Kim:

I have yet to have a monumental moment (that I can remember, anyway),
so I'll have to tell of different, smaller moments.

The first I recall was in the Louvre. I assumed that I wouldn't be
able to bring a camera into the museum, so I walked 45 minutes to get
there, waited in a huge line to get in (it was student price day), and
once inside, realized I should have brought my camera. I followed
sign after sign to see the Mona Lisa. From what I recall it was a
small painting in a large room. Not too impressive. However, the
room was filled with what seemed like hundreds of Japanese men, all
taking photographs at once. It was not the beauty of this painting
that gathered the attention, it was the "celebrity" of the painting
that gathered all of the picture takers there. I could not get close
to the painting, so I went and found better things to look at.

In November 2001, while the site of the World Trade Center was till
smoldering, I went to NYC. I told myself I would not go to ground
zero, but would only look at the most beautiful things I could find.
I went to the Museum of Modern Art with my hubby, mostly to see Van
Gogh's Starry Night, my favorite painting since childhood. We waited
in a long line, paid our $12.00 then read the sign that this painting
(and only this painting) had just left on a long exhibition in
Chicago. In front of several families, I let out a choice word. I
was a bit disappointed. The next day, I went alone to the
Metropolitan Museum. They, too, were packing up their Van Goghs to
travel to Chicago. The Van Gogh rooms were blocked off. However, if
I stood on the benches and maneuvered the barriers a bit, I could
catch a glimpse. I pissed off the guards a few times, but I came to
see 'em & I was going to do what I had to do.

I finally got to see Starry Night last year at the new Museum of
Modern Art. I held my very tired daughter over my shoulder, I gave a
hard look at an approaching tour, and I stood my ground one foot in
front of the painting until I thought I had absorbed it.


Ellen:

Interesting, when I think about art moments that truly inspire me, it usually has nothing to do with my art (hmmm, I think that's a sign telling me something?). They're moments outside myself that always connect me to others and something greater.

Off the top of my head, last year,I watched the 'Stone Reader', a documentary that blew me away. It's about one man's quest to find out what happened to a one book author who wrote a novel that was reviewed as being the 'definitive book of that generation' and then completely disappears into obscurity. It's such a life affirming story. It's about writing, obsession, genius, recognition and art and for anyone who loves books. I shared it with a few other people who all felt the same about it. Here's a link to the trailer. Something to order from the library, it wouldn't be at the video store.
Stone Reader preview on U-Tube

*(it is available on netflix, I checked~ paula)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Renee:

Ah, I don't even have to think about this! :-)

I was in Minneapolis visiting the Walker and they had an exhibit that featured Picaso. It was my first time to a real museum so I had never been face to face with the art of a legend before. The Picaso pieces were all fabulous and I kept thinking "WOW" all through the museum. Scattered throuhout the exhibit were pieces from other artists as well. I walked up a couple steps, turned to my right and right there staring me in the face was a massive Jackson Pollock painting. I almost had to sit down I was so incredibly moved by it. I wanted to capture that moment and live in it forever. I was absolutely head over heals in love with that moment. It was by far my greatest art moment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sheree:

This is such a great question! Also, I have to thank you for asking because I sat here and had a hard time thinking of my BEST art experience! In other words, I have has a lot of great art times!

I think the very best happened years ago. My daughter was little then. I had entered a show and got rejected. I was told to come and pick up the work. After hauling the stuff into the car, I sat there with my daughter in her car seat. I started to cry. No, I started to sob. I was so upset because I wanted to be in that show. After a few minutes, I realized my little daughter was watching me. I stopped crying. I slapped some sense into myself and got it together. We just sat silently together in the car for a few moments. I looked at her and said "NO. This is not going to happen!" She smiled this little girl smile even though she didn't understand what I was talking about. I knew of another show across town that was asking for work for a juried show that same day. We hauled our butts over there. I entered the same rejected pieces from the back of the car. A few days later I got a telephone call telling me to be sure to come to the opening because I won first prize. $500. Shoot!! I think I went into shock. However, my daughter and I went to the opening proud as punch and that money paid our rent for a few months. (Hey, we lived in ghetto studio back then! LOL LOL)
This story makes me smile every time I think of it.
:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nellie:

This is an interesting question. I'll have to keep coming back to read other peoples stories.

The one experience in creating my art that is unique and stands out from the rest is the making of "Doors". It was as if I were outside of myself watching the process. I described it on my blog here:

As a matter of fact you and I had a bit of a dialog going in the comment section.

Presently that piece, along with another grief quilt called "Through the Door", is in the process of being donated to the local Hospice facility. "Through the Door" description and photos are posted here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle:

I think I have 2. I use to work in a museum, and on break I would wander around and really take tons of time looking at different pieces. One day I was looking at a Rothko and I saw some small brush hairs embedded into the painting and I realized how much passion the man painted with.
2nd, when my #2 son told me that my art should be in a museum. This was after being rejected for a show. I love that kid!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deb:

I thought about it but the hands down winner is the Turners at the Tate, his work makes me want to cry it is so beautiful... next would be the pre-raphaelites all over Newcastle, I'm a sucker for Victorian sentimentality...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
okay i finally have one
paula:
When I was on the road and was spending that winter in MN (before ending up here in Vermont), I had just gotten my little apartment for the winter, just gotten a part time massage job and met a younger masseuse who turned me on to bake on acrylic paint. Up to this point I was just drawing with ink and not really feeling passionate about anything. When I went to her house and saw how she had decorated everything herself in so many various artistic ways I was floored! We aren't talking some stupid craft look, this was beautifully done out of everyday objects! It was then I saw her wine and martini glasses that were hand painted (with that bake on paint...granted its lousy stuff but at the time it blew my mind) with fantastic abstract designs. I couldn't believe she did that. I went out and bought a bunch of different colors, little squeeze bottles and brushes, went to the salvation army and got lots of glass vases,stemware, coffee mugs and cookie sheets to bake them on and went at it. I painted over a hundred coffee mugs and tile coasters to match the cups (just tile bought by the case from home depot). It took over every free waking moment for months. Even when I went outside jogging I would stop in parks and pick up twigs and found things to take home and make imprints on the tiles with that paint....bake it and have ART! Just me, in an empty little apartment, still sleeping on the floor in my sleeping bag, no furniture but a table someone loaned me, a little radio and ART making. It filled me with possibility and hope for becoming a ceramic artist....which led me to my journey further....which led me here....which led me to now.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think Ihave 2. I use to work in a museum, and on break I would wander around and really take tons of time looking at different pieces. One day I was looking at a Rothko and I saw some small brush hairs embedded into the painting and I realized how much passion the man painted with.
2nd, when my #2 son told me that my art should be in a museum. This was after being rejected for a show. I love that kid!