10/18/08

art out there

I've had an interesting few days. The found scrappy stuff I got (post below) was heavier than I anticipated and when I opened my hatchback and hauled one of those rolls of rubber/steel out my back decided to go out as well. It's that low low back outage, the kind that makes you unable to straighten up once you've been laying or sitting for more than a few minutes. The kind that makes your leg and foot feel like water rushing and your kidneys hurt and everything feels damaged.

The only thing I know to do after years of dealing with screwed up backs and necks and arms, is to rest, eat more protein and go for slow walks. Were I still 'wealthy' or a massage therapist I would go get body work done but since that aint the case I just slow down and be with it. Yesterday I went on a long slow walk in Stowe and saw this sculpture. Normally I don't pay much attention to art (strange isn't it?) but this time I was in 'in the now' mode. I took a bunch of pictures at different angles with the shitty little camera I brought just to play with. What I like about this is the deep appreciation I now have for all those little random parts that make up the whole. And this morning I couldn't sleep and the first thought was, 'how the hell did they actually put this together?'. It amazes me it is so ROUND. This is the first sculpture I've ever seen that made me wish I could buy it. I'm not keen on that rock but otherwise it is fascinating, especially when you lay down and look up through it at the sky.


9 comments:

Karen Jacobs said...

"How'd they do that?" puzzles are why some of us look at art in the first place... instead of an MFA, I have a HTDT degree! Incredible amount of info out there in puzzle format. Great find!

Nellie's Needles said...

Amazing! It would be great to see it in person.

self taught artist said...

I dont even know what htdt is :O

it is fun, i'm going back just to lie near it like an animal. it has mojo.

Karen said...

HDTD..how did they do that.
It is one very cool round thing. It looks like a fun piece. Loads of itty things to see. How much fun that had to be, gathering up those bits!
so sorry your back is out. sucks major.
I had a good chuckle at the picture of you laying down to see how the sky looked through it...

self taught artist said...

hdtd..duh duh duh
thanks for cluing me, she even GAVE ME A CLUE.
i'm sure i looked insane since i was half crippled with a stuck back.

Sheree Rensel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheree Rensel said...

That is one COOL sculpture! I want it! I always wished I could weld. Hey, now that is an idea. Maybe I should learn to weld. That would serve two purposes. I could use it in my art and also use it for a job. Also when you are welding, you can't hear people yakking at you. This is a very good idea! I wonder where I would have to go to learn to weld? In the meantime, thanks for sharing that sculpture. I love, love, love it!

self taught artist said...

sheree i bet you would be a fantastic welder!

deb said...

wow this is one very cool object!!!